PDA

View Full Version : Computer gurus, please help. *UPDATE*

Chris3jam
03-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Well. . . .dh got a really, really, really good deal on a laptop. :grin He says I can have it. :grin He's got the wireless working. :grin :grin :grin

Now. . . .how do I transfer *everything* off of this computer to that one? And am I going to have to reload certain software, like Microsoft Word and Excel (without which I am *totally* lost!).

AmyDoll
03-25-2006, 08:27 PM
do you have a thumb drive?

do you have the cds for ms office?

Chris3jam
03-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Yes.
and
Yes.
:grin

This Busy Mom
03-25-2006, 10:01 PM
I think i need to get a thumb drive :think .

AmyDoll
03-26-2006, 07:20 AM
copy files that you like to the thumb drive from ur regular computer (.xls, .doc, pictures)

use your cds to load your software on your new laptop

plug in your thumb drive to your new computer and upload! :tu

tada!! All done :)

Chris3jam
03-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Well. . not really. For instance, I don't have to worry about my web-based e-mail accounts, right? But, things aren't going as well as hoped. For instance. . .I can and do access my Yahoo acct.. But, the toolbar is different. It's my account. . .I can read the archives and access my mail and everything. But, the important part to me is keeping my bookmarks. . . and, with this new toolbar, those are not coming up. :shrug It's weird. . it's my account. . .but it's not really. Underneath the bar that has all the 'functions' on it ("File" "Edit" "View" "Favorites", etc.), there's another bar that says "Adobe" "Y", then a place to input/search the web, then the buttons, "Messenger" "Choose Buttons" "Bookmarks" "Mail" (you get the idea). On the laptop, accessing the same account (mine), I totally different toolbars, including their "locations". And underneath the address space, where I was expecting to see something like what is above, I see "Google", a space to input to search, "G-Search", "Check", "Look for Map", etc. It's totally different.

I *need* to keep my bookmarks!

QuiltinGramma
03-27-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't have Yahoo. I have Outlook Express....maybe some of these things will apply to Yahoo.

The top tool bar line I have says: File, Edit, View, Tools, Message, Help
If yours has something similar go to View
Under View go to Layout

On mine under View/Layout, I am able to add or subtract different toolbars that show up on the screen
Maybe yours will have something similar. :think

I know that when we got our new computer, my DH was able to download our Internet Explorer bookmarks from our old one and then transfer them to our new one. If that is what you are talking about I'll see if he can tell me how to do that. (And we also have had to transfer our e-mail addresses and I can't remember if my DH had to download them out and then in or if he had to retype. Sorry)

P.S. Is a thumb drive the same thing as a pin drive? :/

Hope you get it up and running soon.

ThirstyTurtle
03-27-2006, 11:51 AM
To copy your bookmarks from Internet Explorer. . .

Open Internet Explorer on your current computer:
1. Click on "File"
2. Click on "Import and Export . . ."
3. Click on "Next"
4. Highlight "Export Favorites"
5. Click "Next"
6. You should see a list of your bookmark folders. Just make sure that "Favorites" is highlighted.
7. Click "Next"
8. You want "Export to a File or Address" to be marked. Take note of the file name and location.
9. Click "Next"
10. Click "Finish"

Now copy this file you just made to your laptop.
Open up Internet Explorer on your laptop.
1. Click on "File"
2. Click on "Import and Export . . ."
3. Click on "Next"
4. Highlight "Import Favorites"
5. Click "Next"
6. You want "Import from a File or Address" to be marked.
7. Click on "Browse" and find the file you copied to your laptop.
8. Click "Next"
9. You should see a list of your bookmark folders. Just make sure that "Favorites" is highlighted.
10. Click "Next"
11. Click "Finished"

I hope I wrote these clearly. Please let me know if there are any problems with the directions.

ThirstyTurtle
03-27-2006, 11:57 AM
I think the other issue you are referring to may be that you were using Yahoo Toolbar on your old computer. You can download it for the new computer at http://toolbar.yahoo.com/. If you have installed Yahoo Instant Messenger on the laptop, it usually installs Yahoo Toolbar unless you tell it not to.

You can turn on or turn off your Yahoo Toolbar in Internet Explorer by going to "View" then Toolbars" and checking or unchecking "Yahoo! Toolbar."

Chris3jam
03-27-2006, 12:01 PM
You can turn on or turn off your Yahoo Toolbar in Internet Explorer by going to "View" then Toolbars" and checking or unchecking "Yahoo! Toolbar."

Mine doesn't even give me the option. . .

Chris3jam
03-27-2006, 12:03 PM
I think the other issue you are referring to may be that you were using Yahoo Toolbar on your old computer. You can download it for the new computer at http://toolbar.yahoo.com/. If you have installed Yahoo Instant Messenger on the laptop, it usually installs Yahoo Toolbar unless you tell it not to.

That seems to be the issue at hand. But. . how did it get set up like that in the first place on my old computer? I never did it. . . .

ThirstyTurtle
03-27-2006, 12:32 PM
I think I am confused . . . do you want the Yahoo stuff to be on the laptop? Does the old computer have the option to check or uncheck the Yahoo Toolbar under "View" then "Toolbars"? Since you use Yahoo mail, you probably clicked on something to install it a long time ago. It also usually installs when you install Yahoo's instant messaging program. Or, you may have bought your computer with Windows and other software already installed, the Yahoo toolbar may have already been there.

If I am reading what you wrote correctly it sounds like your laptop has the Google toolbar installed. You should be able to turn it on/off under "View" then "Toolbars" by checking/unchecking Google. You can also completely uninstall it under Add/Remove Programs. I can tell you how if you want.

Chris3jam
03-27-2006, 12:54 PM
YES!!!!! SUCCESS! THANK YOU! YES, I'M YELLING!

I downloaded the Yahoo toolbar. . .the laptop was set to Google toolbar. When I downloaded Yahoo toolbar :type, all my bookmarks were there. :jump2 FTR, dh needs my computer. So, he bought me a laptop at a really, really great deal and now I'm having to move everything over. Pros and cons. . .I hate the keyboard on the laptop. . .the touchpad is soooo sensitive and the keys I can barely feel! It takes me twice as long to do/type anything! I hate to be moving things over. The pro is that I get to move into whichever room I need to, to be with the kids. :grin So . . iow. . I'll *never* get off the net, now! :laughtears

(now, to figure out how to transfer "favorites")

ThirstyTurtle
03-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Yay!! :highfive
I'm glad you figured that part out. Transferring the Favorites should be much more straight forward.

QuiltinGramma
03-27-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm glad you were able to get that fixed. It's great to have knowledgable people at your fingertips to give you help when you need it. :tu
Yeahhhhhh for that ThirstyTurtle. :yes
See ya'll later. :walk