PDA

View Full Version : "It never hurts to hit them around a little"

Chris3jam
03-25-2006, 07:55 AM
And, apparently to make sure that I didn't misunderstand, she said it again, "It never hurts to smack 'em around a bit. Does 'em good!"

This out of the mouth of yet again another very gentle, sweet, soft, loving appearing mother at my church. She was picking up her daughter from Wed. night children's clubs. . .we joked around a little. She asked if she was "good" --- and, since I think that question is just . . well. . .stupid. . to ask, I usually deadpan, "Oh, no! Your child was horrible! Really, really awful!" and then I totally laugh! That usually doesn't elicit a response like the one above -- they generally kind of look stunned, then laugh, too! I do it to try and put child behaviour in perspective, in a way. So what? What is that question anyway? "Was my child good?" :shrug :/ So, I give a totally off-beat response, we laugh, I tell them what a joy their child is, because that is the truth (even if they *were* a "handful"), and we go on our merry way.

I guess I won't be doing that for a while! :no2

Joy7
03-25-2006, 08:27 AM
:crazy2
My rebuttal might be "yeah, but then your days blow with all those visits from social services." In the sweetest, most I know you must be kidding voice I've got.

Chris- How do you STAND it.!? UGGH! :mad

MamatoBiz
03-25-2006, 08:32 AM
"yeah, but then your days blow with all those visits from social services."

:giggle That is just perfect Chris, it is so hard sometimes! Hats off to you.

Chris3jam
03-25-2006, 08:34 AM
"yeah, but then your days blow with all those visits from social services." In the sweetest, most I know you must be kidding voice I've got.

Arggh! :hissyfit Where were you Wed. night when I needed you?! That would have been perfect!

Those comments just throw me so way off-kilter that I just stammer and sputter as they walk away. Ya. Go me. Right. :sad2

Weren't we making some sort of "sticky" for slow-thinkers like me to have 'rebuttals' close at hand?!

DebraBaker
03-25-2006, 09:00 AM
I wonder if saying something that sets you up for being slapped around in the nursing home would help?

db

Radosny Matka
03-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Okay, so let's assume that it actually wasn't hard enough to physically hurt, it always emotionally hurts. :bheart

mommy2abigail
03-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Or how about asking if her dh says t he same thing about her? :mad :sick Why is it ok to "smack 'em around a little" regarding the kids, but it's domestic violence to do that to another adult? :banghead

Jillian
03-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Ohhh, I like these comebacks! :tu

Is there really a sticky for those????