PDA

View Full Version : I need some help.

Mama Rophe
03-23-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm going to try and make some sence of my ramblings. Sorry if I can't really think straight right now. I am at my wits end.

DS, who is 21 months, is having some huge feelings right now. It's really starting to get to me. I almost feel like putting him in his room for a "time out." I don't want to do that because I know that it wouldn't make any of this any better. EVERY time I tell him that he has to do something or he can't do something he screams. It just keeps getting louder and longer. He won't let me comfort him at all. I feel like screaming myself. He would be happy if I let him watch movies all day long. I refuse to let him do that. I want him to play outside or in his playroom. He WON'T put a diaper on at all. Last night it took both dh and I to wrestle a diaper on him so he could have some outside time. I don't have the physical strength to do it on my own. I feel like I'm doing something wrong that makes him do this. Please tell me it gets better. Is there anything I can do that might help him? (and me) Would a scedule work for a dc his age? If so what should I incorporate into it? Is there a way to make the day a little easier with a little less melt downs? I just feel like I'm doing a horrible job as a mommy. Please help me.

tryin-to-FROG
03-23-2006, 07:33 PM
It does get better :hug2 The first thing that comes to mind that was helpful with my strong son was choose your battles- maybe if you are going outside to play forget the diaper, changing wet pants may be easier in the long run. Also a big thing I try to remember when I am about to snap is to really try to think is it him that has the problem or me? Is this really such a big deal- would it be a big deal if it was at another time? Also something that others here have suggested to me was to make sure you have a child who is not hungry or tired that you are trying to work with when at all possible- when my son is hungry or tired there is no reasoning with him. Hope this helps- again it will get better- it is funny looking back at my son at the things I was going crazy over that I thought would never end (ie: peeing in the back of all his toy trucks:)) that are a distant memory- Good luck!!
Lorene

MarynMunchkins
03-23-2006, 07:51 PM
21 months is a rough stage. :hug

I'd jump on the diaper thing, and see if he may be ready to potty learn. :) Colin started about that age. It SHOCKED me after having two that were almost 3, but he's doing pretty well. :tu

A good routine, including regular snacks and predicable outside and movie times probably would help. It would make his world a little easier for him to regulate. :)

Amber
03-23-2006, 08:06 PM
You're not alone!!! My ds is 21 months and this last week he has been a bear (and he is usually an easy going guy). I think that some of it is due to the fact that he is getting his 2yr molars in, at least I am hoping that is the cause.

LauraK
03-23-2006, 08:15 PM
I think a routine does really help, although I recall that being a challenging age. We did have a set routine to the day from about a year with my first. I also find only allowing tv at certain times in the day helped (helps) us, for the most part I only allow tv for 30 minutes after breakfast and 30 minutes after the afternoon nap. My routine, included meals, outside time or errands and a general nap time. I tried to make our days generally follow the same order each day. :hug

Marmee
03-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Been there! It will get better! Keep your chin up - a routine might help, it helped mine. :grouphug

Mama Rophe
03-23-2006, 09:58 PM
I'd jump on the diaper thing, and see if he may be ready to potty learn. :) Colin started about that age. It SHOCKED me after having two that were almost 3, but he's doing pretty well. :tu

We have EC'd since he was 13 months. He has been diaperless in the house since then. I tried even using training pants on him and he won't even do those. I got them on him today only to have him get mad at them and try to get them off. I don't think he likes the feeling. I think he's a boxer type of guy. Which is fine by me, but when we are out he still goes in his diaper. He's not very verbal yet. Only a few words like mama, dada, puppy, and such.

I'm going to work on a schedule tomorrow. It's late now and I have to get up early in the morning.

tryin-to-FROG
03-24-2006, 08:53 AM
hi- just realized that you are pregnant too- that could have some to do with it also- alot of big changes coming could be more stress in the house- I agree that some routine could be good- that will help too when baby comes.

tryin-to-FROG
03-24-2006, 08:53 AM
hi- just realized that you are pregnant too- that could have some to do with it also- alot of big changes coming could be more stress in the house- I agree that some routine could be good- that will help too when baby comes.

LauraK
03-24-2006, 09:46 AM
I wonder if you just left him in boxers when you went out if he would not go in them? Or perhaps he would quickly learn not to go in them? I know once my dd was trained she did not like diapers too much, except at night we would use a pul-up. :shrug

Mama Rophe
03-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Where in the world would I find boxers that small. All I can find around here are breifs and he definately will not wear those. Boxer breifs, maybe.

Heather Micaela
03-25-2006, 02:38 AM
they do have cute loose knit shorts that would serve thee same function

liamum
03-25-2006, 08:50 PM
It does get better. Sometimes I try setting a timer and telling DS when he hears the beeper it is time to change his diaper. This works about 60% of the time. Often I have him choose between 2 places where he'd like a change - like either on the floor or bed. Sometimes I bring out a small toy he hasn't seen for a while and ask if he'd like to hold it during the change.