PDA

View Full Version : I have wheat - what to do?

mamaKristin
03-23-2006, 01:16 PM
In this month's community-based Good Food Box (lots of local products and stuff) there was a bag of wheat kernels. I don't know what to do with them. Any ideas? I have a coffee grinder so I could grind them up, but other than that :shrug

lumpofclay
03-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Hmmm...grinding up some in a coffee grinder to make wheat flour might take a little time.

You can soak and cook wheat, but I don't have time to find and type in a recipe. Reply, so this thread will be up in my "unread messages" section, and I'll look for you later tonight. Or you can search the net. I know you can cook wheat similar to how you cook oats and rice.

mamaKristin
03-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Cool Jessica! I had to laugh when I found it in the box because I had no idea what to do with it...and posting on here about it is funny since wheat seems to be one of the most 'given up' foods out there. :giggle

hbmamma
03-23-2006, 02:18 PM
This website might have some ideas for you too (ok, I'm hooked on the food channel :O )

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9956_23978,00.html

Iarwain
03-23-2006, 03:41 PM
If you want to make flour a blender might do a better job than a coffee grinder.

Chris3jam
03-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Yeah. . . would cook it like rice. . it makes a really nice side dish and the leftovers can be made into a really nice cold salad. :D

cannuke
03-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Try this - http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipe/

lumpofclay
03-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Finally got a minute:

From _Grains of Truth_

Wheat as a side dish: Soak wheat berries for 2 hours before cooking. Use 3 1/2 parts water to 1 wheat (cracked in blender or whole grains). To cook: Bring water to a boil, stir in wheat, and return to boil. Turn heat very low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour without stirring.

For a creamier texture (like oatmeal): Steam or crock-pot wheat for 8-10 hours (great for breakfast, sprinkled with raisins and/or a tsp. of maple syrup. Also good with freshly sliced apples, nuts, or chopped dried fruits.)