PDA

View Full Version : How could I have handled this better?

This Busy Mom
03-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Yesterday, when I was preparing supper, I had a sharp knife and I was cutting meat up. My 10 yo ds came in and asked me a question about his schoolwork, then he turned to leave, but instead of going, he snuck up behind me and slammed his book shut hard about 2 inches from my ear :mad :mad :mad :mad .

I didn't respond very well and pretty much screamed at him :( . He said he didn't mean to do it right next to my head. I told him he shouldn't have done it AT ALL .

This Busy Mom
03-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Well, I ended up talking to him about safety issues and had him tell me why it was so dangerous to come up behind someone and scare them like that. I just don't think he thought it through before he did it :rolleyes .

Danette
03-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Yea, he probably didn't think it through... his only thought was probably "that would be funny." It sounds like a typical 10 yo thing to do.

And hugs to you.... If I'm going to go off on my kids :shifty it's usually when I've been startled or physically hurt. Since I know that I can ususally keep my calm if I take a few deep breaths.... unless I'm really hormonal. :rolleyes It's really important to go back and apologize and explain why you reacted the way you did. And having him think it through is great too. So good for you for doing that. :highfive