PDA

View Full Version : Considering going veggie for health, need advice

Lantern Light Mama
03-21-2006, 12:02 PM
How easy is the transition? My DH likes meat, and hes against the idea, butttt im really considering it because I think we would all be healthier. I have about $200.00 every two weeks for groceries. What do your weekly menu's look like?

Anginj
03-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Hi,
I'm new here and I really don't even know if I should be posting in this folder because I'm not a vegetarian. I hope I'm not breaking a rule or anything! :think
Anyway, one thing in your post jumped out at me. You said that your dh is not on board with this idea of going vegetarian. I really think that you need to let that weigh mightily in your decision. I think that you are free to make that choice for yourself, and to even consult him in making that choice for your children, but I don't think it's fair to make the choice for your dh.
There are tons of resources available online and otherwise to find ways to make your diet healthier by reducing meat and/or adding lots of other important things like whole grains and vegetables.

Again, I hope I'm not stepping on your toes. I truly don't mean to offend, but I did want to offer a different perspective on behalf of your dh! :hug

--Angela

Aerynne
03-23-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm veggie and my dh is not. But he'll eat veggie meals that I cook. Okay, here are some dinners (which are the toughest for us)

pasta primavera
homemade pizza with whole wheat crust
minestrone soup (can you tell we like Italian)
vegetarian shepherd's pie
veggie burgers and baked fries
bean burritos (I buy pico de gallo to make these a special treat)
vegetable stir fry
sweet and sour tofu (just use a sweet and sour chicken recipe)- dh doesn't like tofu but he'll eat this
pasta with pesto sauce
spaghetti marinara
chili
baked potatoes with a "cheese" sauce made out of cashews

I just got a book called the Vegetarian Mothers' Cookbook. It's a great book! :tu

Katiebug
03-23-2006, 09:32 AM
We eat *a lot* of the same things as Erin, but eggs, small amounts of dairy and fish as well. Would including fish be easier for meal planning, at least to start? About once a week we'll have grilled or baked salmon, sole or trout, with brown and/or wild rice, some green veggie and a salad.

We'll have breakfast for dinner about once a week as well...omelets, toast, fruit salad. Or sometimes whole wheat waffles w/ fruit.

Lots of rice and bean dishes, burritos. Black bean and corn quesidillas. Hearty soups with bread. I posted a great minestrone recipe in the veggie recipe forum. Stir-fried veggies and tofu over rice or whole wheat pasta tossed in olive oil. Veggie burgers and sweet potatoe fries. Really, there are *tons* of options out there! I find when you take meat out of the equation you get to be more creative :tu

Lantern Light Mama
03-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks ladies.

Dh is willing to give it a try considering why.

I think that you are free to make that choice for yourself, and to even consult him in making that choice for your children, but I don't think it's fair to make the choice for your dh.

I think you were making an assumption here, which is why I never answered. It's 100% fair if DH wants me to be healthier IMHO. Most of the ladies here know where im coming from on this I think. Im going to assign positive intent.

PurpleButterfly
03-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Nemo and I went vegan about four years ago (we eat small amounts of cheese/yogurt and occasional eggs now), and my meat-n-potatoes loving midwest dh lovingly agreed to try it with us for a month at my request. :yes I spoke from my heart, and also supplied some Internet printed pages of information about how much healthier vegetarians are, told him I would never nag him about what he ate outside the home, but that it was ethically difficult for me to purchase and prepare animals in our home. He was very open to it, because my feelings and opinions matter to him, and I think because I presented it as something extremely important to me, and he respected that. He also respects that I do all the shopping, cooking, and most of the cleaning up, and told me it was really my choice ultimately since I was the one doing the work. :tu I think most marriages are certainly strong enough to expect support for healthier lifestyle choices in the home. :hug2

Today, our household is still meat-free, and I am thrilled to say that my dh has completely given up red meat, and only occasionaly eats chicken or (mostly) salmon/shrimp outside the house. He noticed almost immediately how much better he felt, how much better his digestive system worked (no more hours in the potty and stinking up the whole house! :shifty ), and when his meat-n-taters loving father had to have a quintuple bypass several years ago, he was the one to encourage his dad to eat healthier (not to mention the self-motivation after seeing someone go through something like that).

Some good websites are:

http://www.goveg.com/order.asp (Free vegetarian starter kit)

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/index.html (Another worthy free veg starter kit that includes articles by physicians)

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/veg_foods.html (A good page for printing health benefits)

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/children.html (Sample menu ideas for veg children)

One of the nicest (besides health, of course :wink ) benefits of going veg is that you get all that "meat money" to spend on other healthy and delicious foods...it goes a lot further, I think. :cool You can make many of the same things you're probably enjoying now, but either meat-free (like mexican, used beans instead of beef), or replace the meat with either vegetables (like in lasagna or stew), or soy/veggie based protein substitutes (like Boca Burgers Soy Crumbles, much easier/cheaper than ground beef and very similar - sold in freezer section).

Last night, I threw together this meal in a pinch:

Vegetarian Chili (2 cans light red kidney beans, 1 can dark red kidney beans, 1 pack soy crumbles, packet of msg-free taco seasoning mix)
Baked organic (Cascadian Farms brand) tater tots
Unsweetened organic applesauce cups

We rarely eat tofu, something that most men seem to be terrified of :giggle , and something I personally haven't been able to figure out how to prepare so it's really delicious, no matter how hard I try. But we get plenty of soy in other things, like soy milk (we alternate with rice, oat, almond and hazelnut milks :yum) and the soy crumbles and veggie burgers (which are usually made w/soy protein), plus soy protein smoothes that my family begs for. I don't want a soy-based diet, because everything in moderation for good health and balance. :yes

Things my guys really like and ask for:

Baked potato night - with all kinds of yummy toppings. I make creamy baked potato soup of out leftovers the next day and serve with thick slabs of bread (spread with Earth Balance, an organic and very healthy version of margarine) and usually some sort of fruit.

Mexican anything - usually burritos/tacos, made with refried canned beans and all the usual fixin's. I also make easy quesadillas in the frying pan but add sauteed zuchinni to the beans and they add a nice flavor/texture without being overwhelming.

Grilled cheese and soup night. Usually canned tomato soup because that's what we all like, sometimes homemade veggie soup or whatever else I feel like tossing together.

Lasagna (made w/soy crumbles or eggplant), spaghetti (made w/soy meatballs or crumbles, sometimes just plain sauce, sometimes add a can of chickpeas for protein, always add Nutritional Yeast to the sauce which thickens it and gives better flavor than parmesan), eggplant parmesan.

Pasta Primavera (creamy cheese sauce) made with zuchinni ribbons (use vegetable peeler) instead of noodles. Ds prefers this with plain marinara sauce. Nice tossed salad to go with it.

Mac-n-cheese bake with baked apples or pears and whole grain bread.

"Chicken" sandwiches (Morningstar Farms brand spicy veggie "chicken" patties) with baked yams or organic fries, fruit or applesauce cups.

Frozen cheese pizza topped with canned black olives and fresh mushrooms. Soy protein smoothies to go with.

Soy protein smoothies and nut butter & jam sandwiches. I usually use organic almond butter - more taste and nutrition (calcium) and papaya jam that I found at the grocery store. :yum I make chocolate soy protein smoothies from powdered mix, using any non-dairy milk, plus an organic banana and good cup or so of ice cubes, in the blender. Just like a milkshake but super-nutritious! In a hurry, I will whip these up for us to enjoy on the go in the car or as we are getting ready in a rush, sometimes adding a scoop of nut butter for extra energy oomph.

When I have the energy (not now), I like to do weekly menu planning/grocery list on the computer, then print it out to bring to the grocery store so I can stick to my budget. It is such a pleasure not to have to worry about what to prepare each night! I also include Nemo's breakfast and snacks list, because it just makes it easier for me to offer him the choices of things I know he already enjoys:

Menu Planning - week of xxxxx

Menu:
Brown rice casserole w/garbanzo beans, tomatoes, melted cheese on top
Baked chix patties w/mashed sweet potatoes and asparagus
Bean soup w/bread and cheese
Chick pea patties w/Morrocan rice blend, sugar snap peas
Pizza

Nemo's breakfast: Orange juice, iron and vitas every day, plus:
Oatmeal and toast, orange slices
Cereal and soymilk
Soy smoothie and banana half
Bagel with cream cheese, pineapple slices