PDA

View Full Version : Lazy but rather cool maternity tops

arwen_tiw
03-21-2006, 03:53 AM
This is my wonderful friend Kim's method for getting rid of those tops you'll never fit into again with bf boobs, and for making two panel maternity tops that will cover any bump. :-)

You need a t-shirt that fitted you when you weren't pregnant. It has to fit over your chest but that's as far as it has to go. You will also need a plain boring vest top in a colour that co-ordinates with the origional top. Of course you can buy a cheap one in your pre-pg size, but I have endless supplies of these and they're all barely long enough for me when I'm *not* pregnant!

All you do is cut the very top off the vest, pretty much just the straps and the very top hem, and make a long seam all the way around to attach it to the tee. Simple. I also have patternerd tops that don't fit over my chest these days and I've given them the same treatment, just cut the top bit off! You now have a tee that is long enough for the bump, with the added satisfaction of using clothes that you've been keeping for, well, a while in the hopes that you'd fit them again some day.

Plus the finished item has the wonderful effect of making your bump look bigger because the panel over the bump is a different colour or pattern to the rest of it! :mrgreen

greenemama
03-21-2006, 07:13 AM
this is a good idea. i've been thinking i'd make some kind of belly warmer type thingy (like an armwarmer?) that would go over the bump and be long enough to meet pants or skirts and then wear normal shirts that are too short alone over the belly warmer type thingy. :grin

of course, i'm not pregnant yet, but i thought i'd add to the laziness. :)

Tengokujin
03-26-2006, 02:35 AM
Arwen, would you mind posting a pic of one of these so that I can "see" it? It sounds great, but I can't quite get my head around it.

arwen_tiw
03-26-2006, 01:35 PM
I can't sorry, my camera isn't working. :( I will try to though if we manage to get it replaced this month! I'm building up a stash now just in time for me to start getting a belly hopefully soon. :mrgreen