PDA

View Full Version : Jicama?

gamomof2
03-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Has anyone had good luck with this? I've been wanting to try it, so I bought one tonight at the grocery store, but I didn't like it! I googled it to see how to best prepare it, and it said that you can just peel it and slice it, and that it has a taste and texture similar to water chestnuts, which I really like. But this... this did not taste like that!! I reminded me of a raw potato, and it had a bit of a bitter after taste. Mine had brown spots through out it, though.. so I am wondering if maybe it wasn't a good one? :scratch
Anyway, I've been trying to broaden my veggie horizons and find some healthy things to snack on during the day. One site suggested drizzling it with lime juice, salt, and a touch of chili powder. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Mothering by Heart
03-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Maybe you got a bad one?
Jicama has sort of a sweet taste. I just cut it up and eat it plain or throw it on taco salad :yum

boonpnutsmom
03-17-2006, 07:16 PM
I eat it plain but then I eat raw potatos too.

Mama Calidad
03-17-2006, 07:30 PM
One site suggested drizzling it with lime juice, salt, and a touch of chili powder.
That's how we eat it. :yum Okay, it's more than a touch of chili powder. It's more of a chili powder, salt and lime paste.

gamomof2
03-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Ok, I'm thinking I must have gotten a bad one. :/ All of the sites that I found said that it was crunchy, and had a sweet taste. Mine definitely did not. :crazy2 I'll try again next time.

Thanks you guys!! :grin

gamomof2
03-17-2006, 07:33 PM
That's how we eat it. :yum Okay, it's more than a touch of chili powder. It's more of a chili powder, salt and lime paste.

Yep, the site that I was on said that that is how they are commonly eaten in Mexico. I am going try it that way! I love lime juice on anything! :yum