PDA

View Full Version : rolling on the floor fits and annoying behavior?

illinoismommy
03-13-2006, 08:01 AM
I have two questions about my son who is 18 months. The first one is what do I do with these big feelings other than say things like "You're frustrated because you can't play with the vcr" This morning when daddy left I shut the door to the outside (really cold and windy) and he threw himself onto the floor for a roll around crying thing. He did this also (rolling on floor and crying) earlier when his daddy went in the bathroom and closed the door. We know from experience that all he really wants to do is mess with the toilet, it is not about being with dad. So what should I do with this? :scratch

The other one is from last night. We were late getting dinner started here at home so I was feeding him while cooking (giving him food) which meant that by the time dinner was served he was not hungry. So he started a rampage of what can only be described as "annoying behavior." I've tried videos with him, and he doesn't want them. Is there any way to encourage him to play on his own once in a while? He used to play on his own more, I figured he was going through a stage, but we couldn't distract him from just being "annoying" during dinner. He wouldn't sit at the dinner table with us, but he wouldn't get down and play either. He was interested in sitting on our laps, but then he wouldn't let us eat because we couldn't get around him and he wouldn't stop grabbing everything off of the table and throwing stuff on the floor and other really irritating things. :shrug

Joanne
03-13-2006, 10:02 AM
This morning when daddy left I shut the door to the outside (really cold and windy) and he threw himself onto the floor for a roll around crying thing. He did this also (rolling on floor and crying) earlier when his daddy went in the bathroom and closed the door. We know from experience that all he really wants to do is mess with the toilet, it is not about being with dad. So what should I do with this?

As long as he's not hurting himself, others or expressing his emotion for an *extended* period of time, I'd let it go. You might try reflecting and labeling his feelings. Some kids respond well to that, some get more intense. Either way, as long as people and property are being respected, let him have whatever feelings he has. Feelings do not need to be disciplined/punished. They need to be coached and directed. :yes

The other one is from last night. We were late getting dinner started here at home so I was feeding him while cooking (giving him food) which meant that by the time dinner was served he was not hungry. So he started a rampage of what can only be described as "annoying behavior." I've tried videos with him, and he doesn't want them.

This is how each of my kids acted when they were very tired. The honest truth of the 18 month age (there is another thread with a child this age around here, too) is that it's a time when many families find it hard to sit and enjoy things for lengths of time.

You might try a "surprise box" of toys he only plays with when you need or desire him to be occupied. Or sink play. Or rubbermail containers with dried beans, rice and measuring cups.

But, really, the answer is *time*. He'll outgrow this stage sooner or later.

Is there any way to encourage him to play on his own once in a while?

The best way to do this is to begin to build a routine where sleeping, hygiene, chores, cleaning, eating, getting dressed, etc are predictable. You can also have a predictable routine regarding together play, parallel work, etc.

illinoismommy
03-13-2006, 02:21 PM
This morning when daddy left I shut the door to the outside (really cold and windy) and he threw himself onto the floor for a roll around crying thing. He did this also (rolling on floor and crying) earlier when his daddy went in the bathroom and closed the door. We know from experience that all he really wants to do is mess with the toilet, it is not about being with dad. So what should I do with this?

As long as he's not hurting himself, others or expressing his emotion for an *extended* period of time, I'd let it go. You might try reflecting and labeling his feelings. Some kids respond well to that, some get more intense. Either way, as long as people and property are being respected, let him have whatever feelings he has. Feelings do not need to be disciplined/punished. They need to be coached and directed. :yes

Good :-) I was hoping someone would say something like that. Because I do affirm his feelings and think they are okay.... but then I just walk away if he doesn't want to be held and chooses to flop on the floor instead. Do all kids go through this or are some more "floor flopping" than others? Did I do anything that caused him to continue doing it, or is he just extra emotional? Sometimes I feel like people are blaming me for him being this way, but I haven't done anything that I can think of to reinforce the behavior.

The other one is from last night. We were late getting dinner started here at home so I was feeding him while cooking (giving him food) which meant that by the time dinner was served he was not hungry. So he started a rampage of what can only be described as "annoying behavior." I've tried videos with him, and he doesn't want them.

This is how each of my kids acted when they were very tired. The honest truth of the 18 month age (there is another thread with a child this age around here, too) is that it's a time when many families find it hard to sit and enjoy things for lengths of time.

You might try a "surprise box" of toys he only plays with when you need or desire him to be occupied. Or sink play. Or rubbermail containers with dried beans, rice and measuring cups.

But, really, the answer is *time*. He'll outgrow this stage sooner or later.

Yeah......... time and patience, alas!! And all I want is a nice quiet meal. I guess its time to schedule a date night. :O

Is there any way to encourage him to play on his own once in a while?

The best way to do this is to begin to build a routine where sleeping, hygiene, chores, cleaning, eating, getting dressed, etc are predictable. You can also have a predictable routine regarding together play, parallel work, etc.

Already done! :tu So the foundation is there and I guess he'll do it more depending on his stage. It seems this month he wants to sit on mommy's lap or daddy's for hours each day. He'll go back to independent play when he's ready I guess.... in the meantime I feel like.... sensory overload? Like I am always being touched? :blush Its like having a newborn again!

Amber
03-13-2006, 11:02 PM
18 months can be such a trying time :hug But it will pass at some point.

When my ds has really big feelings that lead to a :hissyfit I reflect his feelings and if he doesn't want me to hold him I will step away as long as he is safe, coming back to check on him so and picking him up and cuddling when he is ready. I think some kids do more "floor flopping" than others...it just depends on their personality.