PDA

View Full Version : container strawberries anyone?

bostonsmama
03-09-2006, 09:50 PM
so we'll be moving sometime in the hopefully near future, and im really wanting to plant some strawberries (at least - for now anyways) so i figured i would plant them in a container (havent decided on what yet...) so i can take them with me, and it will be easier :tu

so, what type of strawberry should i buy, or will it really matter? im in zone 5 if that matters for container berries :)

ive seen the hanging baskets of strawberries, and i think theyre awesome, but thats not really what im after right now ;)

so, basically any advice would be greatly appreciated :kiss

mummy2boys
03-09-2006, 10:32 PM
:popcorn cos my DS #1 wants me to grow strawberries but I sem to kill everything I plant :laughtears :laughtears I try hard but it just never happens and I heard strawberries can be a bit fussy so will see what advice you get

Teribear
03-09-2006, 11:29 PM
I want a strawberry pot this summer.

How to use one: http://www.gardenguides.com/articles/strawberrypot.htm

What one looks like: http://www.rainyside.com/ornamentals/container/YeOldStrawberryPot.html

apbfmom
03-10-2006, 05:43 AM
I was thinking of strawberries this year, but never considered growing them in a pot. This might be easier than what I had planned.

cheri
03-10-2006, 06:33 AM
I grew them last summer in a regular pot and I can't remember what kind of strawberries they were. They turned out ok. I got lots of greenery that looked like a nice plant on my deck, but maybe only 1 or 2 new strawberries per week.

SueQ
03-10-2006, 06:40 AM
I have never tried to grow container strawberries but I just wanted to say that when you plant strawberries, they do not produce many berries the first year. They produce a lot better the second year you have them. (Strawberries are a perennial. ;))

snlmama
03-10-2006, 07:00 AM
I don' t know, but ds saw some at the store and talked me into buying them so we have them in a pot on the front porch. It says they need full sun so I'll have to move it.

:popcorn

arwen_tiw
03-10-2006, 08:14 AM
We have some in a normal windowbox in the kitchen where they get a lot of sun. They're healthy little seedlings but I'm waiting to see if we get any fruit this year. :-)

I have never tried to grow container strawberries but I just wanted to say that when you plant strawberries, they do not produce many berries the first year. They produce a lot better the second year you have them. (Strawberries are a perennial. ;))

Good to know. :mrgreen

bostonsmama
03-10-2006, 08:44 AM

yes, i learned that last year, which is why i figured this year i would have a good amount of strawberries, but then i never got around to planting them last year, lol, so -- there goes that theory ;) i have read that different breeds produce more the first year than other breeds... im kind of thinking about doing 2 pots, one that "says" it will produce more, then one that doesnt (in hopes that the one that doesnt produce very many will be a better tasting berry) then i can transplant it to my "garden" after we get settled in our new home for the next year...

im so mad that i didnt get those done last year! i really wanted to do canteloupe too, i hear theyre really easy, but then i read that they attract mice and moles, so -- no thanks! we'll leave that to the farmers with their gardens no where near their house ;)

rosesnsnails
03-10-2006, 10:46 AM
:popcorn Ohhhh, that sounds fun!

milkmommy
03-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Didn't notice where you live but keep in mind they need a cold spell..
Deanna