PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite tomato?

apbfmom
03-08-2006, 09:54 AM
So tell me what variety of tomato you like to grow. I enjoy the Big Boy, but would like to try something else as well.

SueQ
03-09-2006, 12:07 AM
:shrug I don't know. I always like to try something new! :lol I like something like big boy or beefsteak for slicing. Last year I bought one called Goliath and liked it but will most likely try something different again this year. :giggle I always buy some plum tomatoes as I can a lot of salsa, pizza and speghetti sauce. For that I like either Roma or Amish Paste.

booboo
03-26-2006, 02:56 PM
My first thought was "Bob the Tomato." :duck I'm not that great of a gardener, though now we're growing some herbs and a pumpkin in pots to start off with. It's too cold out yet to put any outside.

I'd like to try just regular medium sized (what are they called?) to start with this year, since my 7 yo loves tomatoes. Not sure since occasionally we get bears by us. My neighbors grow tomatoes every year and I've never seen a bear go in their yard, yet. (it'll happen soon enough I'm sure) Sorry I'm going OT here.

boonpnutsmom
03-26-2006, 03:13 PM
I have had great luck with grape tomatos this year, they seem to reseed themselves also.

milkmommy
03-26-2006, 03:15 PM
When we had land to plant we grew early girl tomatoes :yum

Deanna

snlmama
03-26-2006, 04:22 PM
last year I grew some called "health kick" that were awesome. They had a really strong flavor, which was great for my spaghetti sauces. Not too sweet... I couldn't find any this year when I was ready to plant so I got Early Girl and Sweet 100. :)

azgirls
03-26-2006, 11:11 PM
I've grown Big Boy and Early Girl-liked both of them. Never tried grape...my dd loves them-eats them like candy, I should try some this year. :yum

My first thought was "Bob the Tomato." :laughtears

This Busy Mom
03-26-2006, 11:46 PM
I like heirloom tomatoes, just because they're different. Who ever knew they come in colors other than red? They are also really tasty... but I think all homegrown tomatoes are ;) .

Garnet
05-17-2006, 02:23 PM
yes, I love Bob the Tomato! :laughtears it doesn't really matter to me, I like them all, especially home grown ones. Nothing tastes better than a homegrown 'mater, fresh picked, washed, sliced mmmmmmm

canadiyank
05-19-2006, 03:33 PM
We love Romas!

Iarwain
05-19-2006, 03:52 PM
I couldn't find any this year when I was ready to plant so I got Early Girl and Sweet 100. :)

Is the Sweet 100 the same thing as the Supersweet 100? I planted one or the other a couple years ago and they grew like crazy and made tons and tons (and tons and tons!) of really yummy cherry tomatoes. This year I got Supersweet 100 thinking it was the same thing, but maybe it's another variant? Anyway they were the most vigorous tomato plants in the whole nursery so I suspect they'll do just fine.

Wish I could post a favorite, but I haven't really formed an opinion yet. I've tried a few different varieties, but nothing stands out except those crazy Sweet/Supersweet 100 plants that were insanely vigorous and productive. Some of the vines were like 7 feet and just covered with fruit and that was in partial shade!

I've been wanting to try some heirloom varieties for a while, especially Brandywine. Maybe I'll go back and get one and see how we like it.

Maggie
05-19-2006, 03:54 PM
We grow heirlooms and my favorite is the Pineapple. :yum DH likes the Brandywine (Sudduth's Strain). Katie likes the little tiny Mike's Wild Cherry tomatoes.