PDA

View Full Version : Why does this happen?

Irene
03-07-2006, 10:03 PM
okay, sometimes when I click on links from GCM, I will get this: http://www.bestwindowsdownloads.com/

and now, everytime I click on my blog, I will get it as well. every single time. UNTIL I go to cybersitter and hit suspend :/ Um, I dont have anything questionable on my blog (I dont think ;) ) but it blocks it out? and why does best downloads show up anyway? what is up?! very annoying.

oh, and I dont even know how to uninstall cybersitter. Its in there for good and I HATE IT :td it constantly crashes my internet. :/

Naked Camper
03-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Do you have an anti-virus program or a pop-up blocker?? Sound's like your computer's got a bug :(

hiddenhippie6
03-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Sometime those programs will block things even if there is one word that may be like a bad one. Ours used to block computer sites because of the term PC. It thought it was talking about drugs :hunh If you think that is the problem you should be able to go to add/remove programs on your puter and get rid of it.

lumpofclay
03-08-2006, 09:40 AM
I read your post to my computer guy (DH ;) ). He said it sounds like your browser could be hijacked. (mine was a few weeks ago) He says you should run a anti-hijack program. With our computer, he used HijackThis!.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

So he doesn't think Cybersitter the offending program. However, if you still want to remove it, his next advice is to run a google search for "remove Cybersitter." You should be able to find instructions to remove or disable it. I/He can help with that, if you want.

Irene
03-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Hijacked!!! :eek that sounds scary!

Irene
03-08-2006, 11:25 AM
it says its for advanced users :nails which I am so not

lumpofclay
03-08-2006, 10:30 PM
DH says they frequently say things like "for advanced users."

Would your DH be willing/able to help?

Hijacked does sound scary, but DH said it can be a little program designed to redirect your browser. In your case, it's sending you to that downloads page. My step-dad's computer gets hijacked a lot!

Irene
03-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Would your DH be willing/able to help? :laughtears :laughtears :laughtears

Um, dh asks *me* to help him get online... he doesnt even know how to check email :giggle so, Im the computer tech in the house! :laughtears yeah how sad is that :shifty

okay I can understand the hijack thing... but why would it go away when I suspend cybersitter?

I wish I had a techy friend nearby... help me with all my irritating computer things :/

hiddenhippie6
03-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Well, here is a second opinion from the computer doctor(my dh) He said that if you have pretty good protection that you should be ok from the hijack thing. You like my computer lingo :giggle Anyway he said that if you go to & click on programs it will bring up a list of programs. Put your mouse over cybersitter it should drop a bar down & there is will say uninstall cybersitter. If you click on that it should do it. We had cybersitter once and it caused alot of problems. The only one we have not had problems with was Net Nanny. Hope that helps :grin

Irene
03-09-2006, 09:58 PM
I dont know if I have good protection or not though :shrug

Cybersitter doesnt show up in my list of programs :shrug I guess its supposed to be invisible or something. And if I go to add and remove programs, it doesnt show up either.

I looked at netnanny, but my impression was there was no getting around it iykwim. Like with cybersitter I can put in my passcode and suspend it if I want to but with netnanny I couldnt, and they seemed to pride themselves on it.

I hate to uninstall cybersitter purely for the fact that I paid 40 bucks for it :mad