PDA

View Full Version : They get a bit crazy when I'm occupied

Wholly Mama
03-07-2006, 03:26 PM
I host a Bible study at my house once a week (We're going through Biblical Parenting! :mrgreen). It goes for two hours and is an awesome time. We all bring our kids and understand that it's a little bit of talking, a little bit of helping to resolve conflicts between children, a little bit of changing diapers, breastfeeding, giving snacks, finding new games for the kids, etc. We get the study done while we parent, basically.
My kids seem to be the only issue. They LOVE having "friends" come over, but they seem to be the only ones who have problems. I don't want to make excuses for my kids. I think that they're pretty intense, but I'm embarrassed that they are always fighting and yelling at each other. After all, I'm leading a GBD bible study, and look at this poor GBD example they have! They get overly stimulated by all the kids there, and get crazy.
I do a lot of conflict resolution with them, but I'm afraid I'm never going to be able to sit down and be part of the discussion since I have to be in between my kids at all times.
Also, I need some help with another thing. When it's just us at home they do really well, I feel they are well-behaved kids. But if my attention is focused on someone else, they constantly vy for my attention. This is especially apparent in the form of interrrupting to tell me everything they're doing. How do I deal with this?

greenemama
03-07-2006, 07:39 PM
:hugheart no advice, mine are the same way. well, henry is, at least. especially the wanting of my full attention. he does it when dh and i are trying to talk, too. i've been having him wait in another room for me if he can't wait his turn to talk. he's getting better about it. he's really naughty during kindermusik classes that i teach and dh always has to take him out early. his SS teachers and cubbie leader say that he's a great listener, etc., and is very compliant for them. aren't all kids worse for their parent and in their own homes? :shrug

:heart

snowmangirl
03-09-2006, 03:19 PM
I, too, understand your situation. I am a missionary and was teaching a class taking 3 of my kids with me. They were terrible, not giving me a chance to teach. I finally had to decide what worked- coloring books, special toys or games to keep them occupied while I taught. Some weeks I left them at home with their dad. You could also practice with them when you aren't having Bible study. Have them practice good behavior while you pretend to teach Bible study and then switch roles, have them be you and you be them. Of course, you can end up being silly and they can tell you what behavior is good and not good. Maybe that would raise their level of understanding of what their behavior needs to look like.

One other thing I thought of us to divide. If your children argue, have one sit with you coloring while the other can play and then switch after half of the time saying since it is hard for them to not argue you are going to help them giving them special time coloring by Mom. I think that is eventually what helped me was to keep my 4 year old and 1 year old separated for a while. They seemed to play better when given the chance again.

I hope something someone says will be a help to you. Satan wants you to be discouraged thinking what you are doing doesn't work- don't listen to him. Follow God's example of patience and GBD- what an example this will be for the others.

Sorry this is so long.

Wholly Mama
03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback!
I've been practicing with them every day this week now, showing them what I expect of them, and how to appropriately get my attention. I hope it works!
Thanks, snowmangirl, for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of switching roles and have them be me. I'll try that! And, yes, I'm going to have to be more proactive during bible study and have specific things for them to do if they begin arguing.
Thanks!

ShangriLewis
03-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I was thinking considering how many boys are there that everyone did just fine :shrug

snowmangirl
03-10-2006, 08:00 AM
I'm so glad you found some things I said helpful. Please let us know how it goes next time.