PDA

View Full Version : Entrees/Main Dishes

Irene
03-06-2006, 04:07 PM
You can put your favorite entree/main dish recipes here :-)

reneeber
03-07-2006, 04:15 AM
Thanks, Irene! I look forward to getting new ideas from people here!

Here are some of mine:

Seafood Fettuccini
Makes a big batch – cut it in half if it’s just for a few people!

1 c. butter
8 cloves garlic
4 c. fresh mushrooms
32 oz. imitation crab meat
4 c. ½ & ½<br>½ tsp. pepper
2 c. parmesean cheese

1. Brown the garlic in the butter.
2. Add the mushrooms and sauté <br>3. Add the crab, ½ & ½ and pepper and heat until mixture bubbles
4. Add the parmesean and stir one minute
5. Remove from heat and toss with 24 oz. fettuccini. Serve extra sauce. Sprinkle with parmesean.

Penne ala Vodka

1 lb. penne
4 oz. prosciutto
1 clove garlic
½ t. red pepper flakes
1/3 (or more) c. vodka
¼. c. chopped parsley
3 T. olive oil
1 can whole tomatoes, drained with juice reserved
1 c. heavy cream
3 T. fresh basil
¼ t. salt
1 c. parmesean

1. Cook pasta
2. In large skillet, medium heat, sauté prosciutto, red pepper & garlic in oil.
3. Add tomatoes, break up.
4. Add ¼. C. reserved juice and rest of ingredients (not parmesean).
5. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stir.
6. Toss with pasta & parmesean

One Dish Chicken & Rice Bake

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 c. water
¾ c. uncooked white rice
¼ t. paprika
¼ t. pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

In a casserole, mix soup, water, rice, paprika and pepper.
Place chicken on rice mixture.
Sprinkle with additional paprika and pepper
Cover with foil or glass lid.
Bake at 375 for 45 minutes

Italian Chicken Breasts

Thaw chicken breasts and marinate in Good Seasons Italian dressing (I buy the dry packages and just mix it up when I need it). Pierce the chicken a few times with a fork to really let the marinade soak in. I like to do it overnight, but even a couple hours will do the trick. Grill and yummmm! Goes great with mashed potatoes, which can also be spiced with dry Good Seasons mix!

Italian Meatballs

2 lbs. ground beef (I like very lean)
1 c. bread crumbs
2/3 c. water (see below)
1/2 c. grated parmesean (I used powdered, it was fine)
1 medium onion
2 tsp. basil
garlic, salt, pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together. Don't add all the water at once - the mixture should be moist but not falling apart. You might not need it all. Form into balls and place in a broiler pan. Broil until slightly brown, then turn and brown teh other side. Simmer in spaghetti sauce for about a 1/2 hour. Mmmmmm......

Angel Hair with Tomatoes, Garlic & Basil

1 lb. angel hair pasta
2 T. vegetable oil
1 T. minced garlic
5 c. chopped roma tomatoes
Basil - as much as you like...I like LOTS!
3/4 c. chicken broth
5 T. parmesean
salt & pepper

Prepare pasta. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, basil, salt & pepper. Cook for 3 minutes. Add pasta to skillet, toss. Add chicken broth, stir. Toss with parmesean and serve immediately.

Chicken & Sundried Tomato Stuffed Shells

1 package jumbo shell pasta
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and finely chopped
8 oz. fresh sliced mushrooms
10 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp dried basil
2 T. olive oil
1 egg
spaghetti sauce (the equivalent of 2 26-oz jars if you make homemade)

Cook the shells, drain. Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, combined and chop finely the mushrooms, tomatoes and garlic. In a skillet, over medium heat cook and stir the mushroom mixture, parsley and basil in olive oil until tender and thickened; cool. Stir in chicken and egg. Stuff equal portions into shells. Spread 2 cups sauce on the bottom of a baking dish; arrange shells in baking dish. Spoon remaining sauce over shells. Cover. Bake 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve with parmesean.

Beef Stroganoff

8 oz. fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 c. butter
2 lbs. ground beef
4 T. flour
2 c. beef broth (I just mix water with boullion crystals)
1 c. sour cream

Saute mushrooms and onions in 2 T. butter until soft. Add additional butter to the pan and melt. Remove. Brown ground beef. Add flour and stir well. Add broth and cook until slightly thickened. Add mushrooms and onions, then sour cream. Heat to simmer. Serve over noodles, rice, whatever!

Can Dance
03-07-2006, 09:07 AM
one of my favourite dishes to make for dinner involves the grill. I marinate my chicken, usually breasts, in Italian dressing, overnight or just a few hours works. then I chop up potatoes with skins on, usually red, into pretty small pieces. then I put those into tinfoil with peppers (I like red the best) and seasonings, like garlic, onion, oregano, parsley, pepper, salt, etc. also add both olive oil and butter. I put them on the lowest setting of the BBQ for a half an hour and then flip them over for another half an hour. I usually add the chicken at the half an hour mark. they come out perfectly roasted and ohsodelicious :yum its one of dh's fave's too. but its a bit of work for an every day meal. I serve it with a salad, usually a bagged salad because I am too lazy to wash it :O

jamilyian
03-25-2006, 03:57 PM
This recipe is for kitchen-challenged people like me :) I appreciated this recipe because it is so SIMPLE it is impossible to mess up.

Roasted Chicken
1 fryer chicken
salt/pepper
1/2 onion

Clean chicken. Put onion inside chicken cavity. Salt and Pepper the bird. Place on a v-rack in a roasting pan. Roast at 425 for approx 1 1/2 hours. Temp when done should be 180 degrees w/ meat thermometer.

Jamie

MamatoBiz
04-17-2006, 07:01 PM
I made this tonight and YUM. It's adapted from something I saw Rachael Ray make this morning ;) She called hers "Vermont Chicken Pie".

Chicken Stew with Rice

2 T olive oil
1 T butter (optional, could use one more olive oil)
4 scrubbed carrots (I never peel, personally), chopped fairly small
1 large onion, chopped
a handful of celery ribs, I used the inside leafy parts too, all chopped up
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
a few grinds black pepper
2 teaspoons dry thyme
a handful italian parsley, chopped up
3 T flour
1 quart chicken stock
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts

a bunch of cooked rice, however much you need to feed your family. Brown tastes the best!

Put two cups of chicken stock in a saucepan and heat it up to poach the chicken. Throw in the chicken and put a lid on.
Get the oil and butter warmed up in a giant pan or dutch oven. Throw in the carrots since they take the longest to cook. Add the onion and celery. Hold back on the garlic for at least five minutes, it shouldn't cook too long. Add the salt, pepper and thyme.

Ten minutes after you put the chicken in boiling stock, take it out and cut it up.

Sprinkle the flour on the vegetable mixture and stir around. Cook for a couple of minutes. Dump in the stock the chicken cooked in. Stir it up good and pour in probably 2 cups or so more stock until it's a nice stew-y texture. Stir in the chicken pieces and parsley.

Simmer for ten minutes or so. Ladle over rice.

Can you tell I throw things around and don't actually time anything :laughtears This made me laugh so hard when I read it through after writing it. Throw, throw throw...

Rachael's was a bit thicker and went into a casserole to be topped with biscuits, but extremely similar.

aspensmom
04-18-2006, 11:41 AM
One of the first meals I learned to make!

Chicken Asparagus Casserole

2 cans Asparagus
2 large cans Condensed Cream of chicken Soup
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp. lemon juice
3-4 whole chicken breasts, cut up
2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
breadcrumbs
1/4 tsp curry powder
1 pinch garlic salt

Warm asparagus on the stove and use it to line the bottom of an 8x10 casserole dish.Cook cut up chicken in a pan with your favorite light oil and just a pinch of garlic salt until thoroughly cooked. Place the chicken in a layer over the asparagus in casserole dish. In a bowl combine cream of chicken soup, mayo, curry powder and lemon juice. Pour this sauce over the chicken an asparagus. Sprinkle top with a layer of grated cheese and then a layer of breadcrumbs. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. Let stand on the stove for about 10 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken just a bit. Serve with plenty of warm rolls for soaking up extra sauce. : )

Enjoy!

luvinmykidz
04-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Crunchy chicken pie!!! :yum

2 cups of chopped cooked chicken
3 green onions - diced
1/2 cup pecans
1 and a half cups chopped celery
1/2 cup of shredded mozza cheese
1 and a half cups of mayonaisse
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1 baked 9 inch pie shell
1 half bag of crunched potato chips

Mix all of the above ingredients together, except for the potato chips. Scoop it all into the baked pie shell. sprinkle with crunched potato chips on top. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes!!

ENJOY

YIELDS: 6 servings!!!

I am eating this now as I type and it is GREAT :tu

Sarai
05-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Tamari Chicken

This recipe is extremely flexible and can be adjusted to feed as many (or as few) as you want!

Basic ingredients:
Boneless chicken breasts (1 per person)
Sweet peppers (red & yellow are our faves)
Green onion/scallion (optional)
Tamari sauce (if you're not familiar, it's a brand of soy sauce. IMO it's better than other kinds, and the low sodium version is excellent).
Olive oil

Dice up sweet peppers and green onion (if using onion). Rinse chicken and cut into small, bite-sized pieces; set aside.

Pour a small amount of oil in the bottom of a wok or stir-fry pan (regular frying pan can be used, but you'll get much better results w/the other pans), enough to cover the bottom. Turn heat on high. When oil is warm (I usually flick a few drops of water in the pan and see if it sizzles), add the peppers & onions. Add a few shakes (to taste) of Tamari sauce- basically enough to cover the veggies. Stir it around and continually stir the veggies until they are soft and opaque (I never time it- sorry!- probably a couple of minutes, tops). You don't want them to get black.

Remove the veggies from pan to a serving bowl. Add chicken to wok and a few more shakes of Tamari. As with the veggies, continually stir and move around until they are cooked through (again, 3 or 4 minutes, tops). Add the veggies back to the pan and warm them up a bit. That's it!

I usually serve this w/basmati or wild rice, and both DH & DS like it. I made it last night, in fact, after not having it for quite a while, and the smell of it cooking lured DH in from outside LOL. :mrgreen

Savmom
10-04-2006, 11:23 AM
I am not quite sure what you call this as I got the recipe from my great-aunt 20+ years ago before she died. She always made this when you went to her home for dinner and I had to share.

4 bone-in chicken breasts OR 5-6 boneless breasts OR 12-16 tenderloins (tenders are best and easiest). You can also use legs or thighs.
1 cup sour cream
4 TBS butter/margarine

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place margarine in oven safe casserole dish.
Combine soup & sour cream.
Place dish in oven/microwave until butter melts.
Add chicken (salt/pepper to taste) and cover with sauce.
Bake for 55 mins to 90 mins (depending on type of chicken used).

Sauce is GREAT over rice, noodles or baked potato and with green salad on the side.

Jillian
10-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Salsa Swiss Steak

a pound of some kind of steak - I forget the real kind you're supposed to use, because now I just use beef cubes - too easy
a green pepper, sliced lengthwise in strips
an onion, sliced the same way
3/4 c salsa
10 oz of cream of mushroom soup

Put it all in the crock put and cook it on high for a couple hours.
I usually serve it with mashed potatoes and garlic green beans or asparagus. Although, tonight I am going to try it with rice. You can brown the meat first, then mix the salsa and mushroom soup together in that sauce pan, but I haven't done that way since the first handful of times I made it. Honestly, no one knew the difference, and I didn't have the extra pot to clean! :giggle

It is SO flavorful and yummy. The sauce is the best part...mmmm! Can't wait for dinner! :yum

joyful mama
09-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Chicken or tuna melt patties (adapted from Pampered Chef recipe)

So I did this improvising with what I had on hand, so some of this is estimated...

2 cans tuna, drained well
1/4 Cup parmesan breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 egg white
4 slices of cheddar cheese
(this recipe calls for prepared mustard, which I forgot to add. I'll try it tonight...
about 3/4 - 1 cup of broccoli slaw (this recipe calls for celery and onion... I didn't have any so I substituted broccoli slaw. It was realllly good)

Mix well, and form into about 4 patties. Melt a little butter over medium heat, and pan fry until brown. Add cheese at the end and cook until melted. Serve on its own with veggies or on a bun :yum

Sign Of The Fish Burger
07-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Chicken or tuna melt patties (adapted from Pampered Chef recipe)

So I did this improvising with what I had on hand, so some of this is estimated...

2 cans tuna, drained well
1/4 Cup parmesan breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 egg white
4 slices of cheddar cheese
(this recipe calls for prepared mustard, which I forgot to add. I'll try it tonight...
about 3/4 - 1 cup of broccoli slaw (this recipe calls for celery and onion... I didn't have any so I substituted broccoli slaw. It was realllly good)

Mix well, and form into about 4 patties. Melt a little butter over medium heat, and pan fry until brown. Add cheese at the end and cook until melted. Serve on its own with veggies or on a bun :yum
This. Looks. AWESOME!

Rose
08-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Chicken Prosuitto with Chardanny Caper Sauce (http://www.timberquilts.com/recipes.php?recipeID=10)

time: 30 minutes

4 chicken breasts
Salt & Pepper
1 T olive oil
4 T butter, divided
1/2 c Chardonnay wine
Juice of one lemon
1/4 lb prosuitto, cubed
4 T sun-dried tomatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T capers, drained
1/4 c. asiago (or parmesan) FRESH

1 bag fresh baby spinach leaves

Heat oil & 2 T of butter in large skillet over med-high heat. When butter turns a nutty brown, add chicken; saute until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes each side. Add wine, lemon juice and garlic, simmer 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to plates & cover to keep warm.

Using a spatula, scrape any browned bits off the bottom. Let the wine reduce by half, and then stir in the proscuitto, tomatoes, remaining butter & capers. Let simmer 1-2 minutes.

Divide spinach between 4 plates. Place chicken on bed of spinach. Pour sauce over each piece & sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.

Beet Ravioli in a Sage Cream Sauce

2 large red or golden beets
1/4 c ricotta cheese
1/4 c asiago cheese, grated
1 clove minced garlic
1 T brown sugar
2 T breadcrumbs
1 pkg wonton wrappers

1 1/2 T butter
1/3 c finely chopped shallots
1 1/2 t crumbled dried sage leaves
3/4 c dry white wine
2/3 c whipping cream

Freshly grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400. Wrap beets individually in foil, place on baking sheet. Roast until tender when pierced with knife, about 1 hour. Open foil carefully. Cool.
Peel beets; finely grate into med bowl. Add cheese, garlic & brown sugar. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Stir in bread crumbs.

Sprinkle 2 smooth kitchen towels with flour. Place 8 pasta rounds on work surface, keeping remaining dough covered with plastic. Place small bowl of water next to work surface. Spoon 1 t beet filling onto half of each round. Dip fingertip into water & dampen edge of 1 round. Fold dough over filling, pushing as much air as possible out & pressing edges firmly to seal. Transfer to prepared towels. Repeat with remaining rounds. (Can be prepared 1 week ahead. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet & place in freezer until frozen solid, about 6 hours. Transfer ravioli to resealable plastic bags)

Melt butter in heavy med skillet over med heat. Add shallots & sage. Saute for 30 seconds. Add wine & cream. Increase heat & boil until sauce is reduced to generous 3/4 cup, about 5 minutes.

Working in batches, cook ravioli in large pot of boiling salted water until cooked through, stirring often for about 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to skillet with melted butter & toss to coat. Divide sauce among 8 plates; add ravioli on top. Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Allison
08-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Potato-Bacon Torte! I tried this and it is sooooo good!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/potato-bacon-torte-recipe/index.html

Meredith
05-28-2010, 03:58 PM
This is from Cooks Country magazine, and it was a big hit with the whole family. Nuttin fancy, but fillng and I like that everything but the cheese can be on hand in the freezer and pantry.

Skillet Macaroni with Zesty Meat Sauce

1T vegetable oil
1lb. 85% lean ground beef
Salt and pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 c. water
12 oz elbow macaroni
1/2 c. drained jarred banana peppers, chopped
1 1/2 c. shredded Italian cheese blend
1/3 c. chopped fresh basil

1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medum-high heat until shimmering. Add beef, 1/2 t. salt and 1/4 t. pepper and cook until beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

2. Stir in tomatoes, water, macaroni and banana peppers. Cover and cook, stirring often, until macaroni begins to soften, about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until macaroni is al dente, about 7 minutes.

3. Stir in 1/2 c. cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, cover, and cook until cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Serve.

Note: Banana peppers brighten this hearty meat sauce. Use mild or hot versions, whichever you prefer.

Butterflynjesus
05-02-2011, 10:35 AM
I just made this last night (for the 4th time...and it's sooo good & easy I thought I'd post it, even though it's called "breakfast" casserole, I make it for lunch & dinner too)

Amish Breakfast Casserole (Bread free)

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
Ready In: 50 Minutes
Servings: 12

NOTE: I've made it with the bacon, then 2x with ham & w/out any meat at all, -it was great every time. I should mention I'm not typically a swiss cheese fan & if you aren't either, go ahead & use it, it really does seem to give it a great odor & taste, but not overpoweringly so. I've doubled this recipe with great success. Also, I add some red pepper & pepper, or sometimes a few dashes of hot sauce. A can of green chilies would be good too for those who want more savory spice.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb sliced bacon, diced
1 med sweet onion, diced (I use o'brien hash browns & skip this step!)
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown
potatoes, thawed
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cook your bacon (or chop up ham, if using.) Combine all ingredients, add in bacon or ham (a combo of both would be tasty too, I should think.) Transfer to a greased 13x9x2in. baking dish. Or line with parchment paper, like I do - makes clean up soo easy.

2. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for about 35-40 mins or till it's set and bubbly. Cool for 10 mins before cutting.

Hope you enjoy!

StarlitMama
11-29-2011, 01:29 AM
Cabbage Roll Casserole

For a large family, you will need
1 head of cabbage
4 (small size) cans of sauerkraut
4 (small size) cans of tomato soup
ground beef (2 lbs?)
uncooked rice (optional)
Montreal steak spice OR salt, pepper, garlic
dried rosemary

Preheat oven to 375.
Brown the ground beef, adding steak spice as you do so. Get it really nice and brown with crispy (not burned!) bits, then drain off most of the fat. Put back on low heat and add some rosemary, then go on to the next step (just leave the pan on the burner, either on low heat or off, doesn't matter).
Now, shred the whole head of cabbage. Get it pretty fine!
Open your cans of sauerkraut and drain most of the liquid.
Open the cans of tomato soup, pour into bowl and add two cans-worth of water and stir it together.
Now for the assembly!!
You will need a LARGE pan, or two 9x13 pans.
First layer - 1/2 of the cabbage
Second layer - 1/2 of the sauerkraut.
Then pour half the tomato soup over and continue.
Third layer - meat!
Fourth (optional) layer - rice.
Fifth layer - cabbage.
6th layer - sauerkraut.
And top with the remaining tomato soup.
Cover with foil and bake for at least an hour.
Serve with sour cream and a fresh salad!

BriansLovie
12-06-2011, 01:27 PM
bumping as I am going to be making some of these dishes soon.

Amy
04-17-2012, 06:40 PM
One Dish Chicken & Rice Bake

1 c. water
¾ c. uncooked white rice
¼ t. paprika
¼ t. pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

In a casserole, mix soup, water, rice, paprika and pepper.
Place chicken on rice mixture.
Sprinkle with additional paprika and pepper
Cover with foil or glass lid.
Bake at 375 for 45 minutes

I made this tonight with home made cream of mushroom soup and it was divine!! A huge hit with everyone including the new 1yo :giggle