PDA

View Full Version : need help regaining good eating habits for dd

Myrtle
03-05-2006, 08:21 PM
I won't go into all the details, but with this pregnancy I have been very sick until recently and have had help with meals for the past couple of months. My mom is pretty good about trying to make healthy stuff, but she also has the idea that sugary food is love, so all the veggies and fruits are followed up by something chocolatey. My sil has also helped to feed the family while I was unable to cook, but her idea of healthy is Kraft Mac-n-Cheese, fish sticks, and Go-gurts.

My dd is 19 months old and has, until recently, had very little sugar (only on special occassions like a b-day party). She used to eat veggies and fruits for snacks, and her meals were healthy. Now, however, she has been given soooo much sugar and junk food that she has grown very accustomed to this. I'm feeling a bit better and have started fixing a few meals, but dd refuses to eat most of things I fix. She cried for "bears" most of the day yesterday b/c she'd eaten Care Bear fruit-flavored snacks the day before. That's all she wanted all day. I'd offer other things, and she'd just cry, "bears."

I need help getting her back on the right track. Do I cut out the junk cold turkey? I'm still not 100%, so I also need ideas for snacks/breakfast/lunch that require very little prep b/c my time in the kitchen is limited before the yucky stomach stuff sets in again. I hate that she's eaten so much junk lately, but I wasn't up to feeding her myself or enforcing any boundaries about her eating. I was just thankful someone was keeping her fed. Now, I'm ready to start making some changes. Any ideas how to get started?

Danette
03-06-2006, 01:35 PM
first off.... :hug2

We go through this with my kids... when we visit family my kids go on sugar overload and then we spend a couple weeks getting back on track.

I don't know about going cold turkey ... but I'd give her quality stuff most of the day and then maybe one treat during the day.

My kids love yogurt. They also love fruit. Those are both sweet. And anything you can dip is always a big hit... like carrots in ranch (does she eat carrots at 1 1/2??) or crackers and PB. What about making a quick to grab trail mix. Mix a healthy cereal with raisins and just a few mini marshmallow so she thinks she's getting a real treat. Maybe let her help you make it and put it into baggies... my kids love stuff they make themselves.

Hmmm... I'm trying to think what else my kids ate at that age. :think A slice of deli meat wrapped around a cheese stick. I'll keep thinking....

Myrtle
03-09-2006, 06:58 AM
thanks! those are good suggestions. I'm going to the store again this weekend, so I'll pick up some dippables. And the yogurt and fruit has been the one thing she has consistently eaten even through the sugar-shock days :tu

hbmamma
03-09-2006, 07:18 AM
I've gone through this too. My parents usually have candy all over the place. We have a limited sugar diet, occasional treats that I bake up or B-days, holidays, etc.
I keep stock of fruit in the fridge: apples, pears, grapes, strawberries, etc. That seems to satisfy the sweet tooth for my kids. If your dd insists on more sweetness, maybe sprinkle a little cinnamon or nutmeg on the apples? I think the yogart is a great idea for dipping fruits too. My kids love the trailmix too - their favorite combo includes cheddar goldfish and a couple of chocolate chips sprinkled inside.

:grin

Danette
03-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Goldfish and chocolate chips? Now that's one I haven't tried. I'll have to run that one by my kids. :tu