PDA

View Full Version : How to curb annoying toddler behavior - Licking & Spitting

Marielle
03-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Biting we could handle because he needs SOMEONE or SOMETHING to bite but the spitting and licking he can do with no object or person around. Sometimes it's all I can do to not :hissyfit :hissyfit :hissyfit :hissyfit :hissyfit I do the no spitting we only spit when we brush our teeth. No licking me or daddy so we enforce the personal boundaries. I'm constantly stooping down to his eye level, taking a deep breath so I don't :hissyfit and telling him, "no spitting" Oh and the yelling. I know it lately seems to him like all we do is tell him not to do something and we try to phrase it in the positive as much as possible, redirect, etc.

Sometimes he'll start spitting when we've told him not to something else. :doh Or worse, if we tell him to stop something even with redirection he'll start to bang his head or his hand or something else in order to ask for a "pat, pat" and thus the issue is derailed. The yelling, oh my goodness the yelling, especially of course when his brother is asleep but many times just in reaction to being told something he can't do or have.

Now any help with strategies? I'm definitely hoping that he'll outgrow it but in the meantime we just have to be consistent right?

executivejellybean
03-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Hi Marielle,

I'm no "expert", but I do have lots of children and I know from experience that having a new baby in the house will make even the most angelic child a wild one. It sounds like you are doing all the right things, and you are being much more patient than most.

It will pass, it sure will.

Keep telling him no, make sure he gets lots of lovey time with you, and you'll see that it will start to dissipate. We still have a 4 year old with "rubbing" problems- she gets her little fingers right in the crook of your elbow and RUBS away. Some days it is super sensitive, and I want to fling her hand away, but I have to take her hand and redirect her. This is nothing compared to some of the things she did when her sister was born! It does get better.

Congratualtions on your new arrival!!

I hope this helps.

ArmsOfLove
03-05-2006, 05:09 PM
I just tell my children "spitting is for in the bathroom" and send or walk them there. As for licking--what is he licking???

:hug how frustrating

Marielle
03-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Jeanne that really does help. Thank you.

Crystal LOL he licks our clothes but when he doesn't have a person or dog (eww), he'll lick doorknobs, floors, even bleachers in public places. At first I tried ignoring it and offering positive attention throughout the day but then I had not so gentle moments when I :hissyfit :hissyfit :hissyfit. It's just within the couple of weeks that I've been saying no spitting, etc. BTW, I tried the taking him to the bathroom trick tonight and it caught his attention to where he couldn't try his other behaviors to derail the topic at hand. :tu

ArmsOfLove
03-05-2006, 06:04 PM
:woohoo

I do have to wonder if the licking is a sensory issue. Does he only do it when he's frustrated? Or is it something he does a lot? Like chewing his shirts or licking himself, etc.

Marielle
03-05-2006, 06:08 PM
no licking himself, just when he's frustrated at not getting something or being able to do something. Or of course if Daddy's busy with something and he wants his attention he'll go lick Daddy's knee. I tried observing him for short period to see if it was a sensory thing and it didn't look like it but I'm not an expert. :shrug

ArmsOfLove
03-05-2006, 06:18 PM
You mentioned that you have a dog. TBH, some young children want to *be* the dog. One friend's dd crawled, barked and insisted you pet her--even wanted to eat her spaghetti with her mouth and no hands :giggle Is he maybe speaking dog to get your language? :shrug

Marielle
03-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Yikes, never thought of that one. LOL and we have 3 dogs, all pre-kids and as much as I love them I still wonder what the heck we were thinking (all adopted and made their way to us softies one by one). I'll have to observe the kiddo much more closely to decipher. At the very least it makes for great entertainment. :lol

AmyDoll
03-05-2006, 09:31 PM
I've noticed that Sam licks when he's thirsty.

I usually tell him "X isn't for licking" Would you like a drink?"

Marielle
03-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Okay now I've been observing and I noticed he had some soreness on one of his thumbs and it turns out he's been kind of gnawing on his thumb or at least sticking them in his mouth. He never too a paci (we tried) or his thumb so this is odd but could it be related to stress/frustration or the fact that he's not getting to nurse unlimited amounts like he did prebaby? (I now nurse him before nap & bedtime, sometimes more often when he's sick).

He's been sticking both thumbs in his mouth, not sucking on them but just enough to bite or lick them. :scratch