PDA

View Full Version : problems with 6.5 yr old ds and 5 steps

my3babes
03-05-2006, 01:05 PM
my ds has been really pushing limits lately. It has gotten us to the point that we forget the 5 steps and yell. then he cries and nobody is happy. My real question is how many times do you think you should use the 5 steps on the same situation. We have been trying them with certain situations but we repeat it about 10 times a day, every day. I would think some things would sink into his head, but they dont seem to be.

some examples we have worked on
1.slamming his bedroom door shut on his sister. He constantly does this because he doesnt want her in his room. I cant count how many times we have gone over this with him or how many times my dd (3) has gotten fingers smashed very badly. Finally we took the door off the hinges.

2. Throwing, kicking pillows around the house. He has some throw pillows in his room that are in different shapes to match his room decor. He has decided that they also make good balls for inside the house. He will kick, throw, etc the balls. When we talk about where they should go he says he understands. 5 minutes later he is kicking one and knocking a shelf down.
Ive gotten to the point that I want to take them out of his room too, but I think there can be more of a solution than taking everything away. You cant take everything away in real life and I would rather him learn how to make good decisions, but he isnt. He is continually making the same bad decisions.

3.Hockey in the house-we live where hockey is very popular. kids are on skates at 3 and playing hockey at 5-6. he has a pair of roller blades that he uses in the off season to practice outside. Well he has decided that it should also be an in the house sport. We do the 5 steps and he takes them back to his room. I'll come back 10 minutes later and they are back out. Last night was the worst because he also had his stick out and accidently knocked his 3 yr old sister in the head. My dh lost it and picked him up, put him in time out and yelled at him. More tears but yet we still have nothing resolved.

How many times daily can we excpect to have these same problems go on if we keep using the 5 steps. they arent working, yelling isnt working, nothing seems to get the rules of what is appropriate through this childs head. I think at six he should be able to understand that some things cant be played with in the house. At school he does wonderfully dealing with their rules, but loses all common sense when he walks through our door. Can anyone give me any insight on this?

ArmsOfLove
03-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Well, the point of the 5 Steps is that the helping step resolves the issue. It seems you're resolving each specific situation but what is really being needed is more setting him up for success. I think you're doing that when you realize that he's needing your help several times in a day. I'd remove the pillows and the skates and make them non-issues. At his age impulse control isn't always the greatest ;)

milkmommy
03-05-2006, 02:49 PM
I'd remove the pillows and the skates and make them non-issues. At his age impulse control isn't always the greatest wink
Yea that
Deanna

Joanne
03-05-2006, 03:20 PM
1.slamming his bedroom door shut on his sister. He constantly does this because he doesnt want her in his room. I cant count how many times we have gone over this with him or how many times my dd (3) has gotten fingers smashed very badly. Finally we took the door off the hinges.

2. Throwing, kicking pillows around the house. He has some throw pillows in his room that are in different shapes to match his room decor. He has decided that they also make good balls for inside the house. He will kick, throw, etc the balls. When we talk about where they should go he says he understands. 5 minutes later he is kicking one and knocking a shelf down.
Ive gotten to the point that I want to take them out of his room too, but I think there can be more of a solution than taking everything away. You cant take everything away in real life and I would rather him learn how to make good decisions, but he isnt. He is continually making the same bad decisions.

3.Hockey in the house-we live where hockey is very popular. kids are on skates at 3 and playing hockey at 5-6. he has a pair of roller blades that he uses in the off season to practice outside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It sounds like you are trying hard to develop a GBD home. But I think you may placing too much emphasis on the gentle and not enough of the discipline. :yes

Honestly? For his age? I'd remove his door, the pillows and the skates.

my3babes
03-05-2006, 04:46 PM
thanks, I just didnt know how much it would teach him if we took everything away that he always got in trouble with. Granted it will be a lot easier without them, just didnt know if itwould help

Joanne
03-06-2006, 06:02 AM
thanks, I just didnt know how much it would teach him if we took everything away that he always got in trouble with. Granted it will be a lot easier without them, just didnt know if itwould help

This is a respect for property issue. He's not respecting the property. The property goes away. He's also chosen to lose some privacy because of his behavior (the door).

It teaches him that respect for property is a rule in your house, not a suggestion. And it teaches him that you give him a chance to make the right choice, but that you are willing and quick to enforce the rule. It teaches him that your words mean business. It teaches him that you are in charge.

Grace Based Discipline does not offer or promise that our children will always comply or cooperate in ways that look nice. Even in a GBD home, there will be tough circumstances, repeated challenges and situations you wish were different. The key is that you don't punish him to make him feel bad. At the same time, you don't block the natural or logical consequences related to his choices.

MarynMunchkins
03-06-2006, 06:07 AM
Grace Based Discipline does not offer or promise that our children will always comply or cooperate in ways that look nice. Even in a GBD home, there will be tough circumstances, repeated challenges and situations you wish were different. The key is that you don't punish him to make him feel bad. At the same time, you don't block the natural or logical consequences related to his choices.

Joanne, I think I'll hang this on my fridge. :tu

my3babes
03-06-2006, 07:12 AM
thanks for the input. Im learning a lot from this board!

ozmummy
03-06-2006, 11:10 PM
So you take these things away? That was my first response too..I'm up there with the GBD gurus :P~

When would you give them back...?