PDA

View Full Version : CIO for 3 year old???

luvinmykidz
03-04-2006, 10:28 AM
If we allow our little guy to stay up to late, which we sometimes do :O he gets this WILD CRAZY burst of energy. It is like someone has fed him like 12 cups of espresso or something!! He is jumping everywhere, screaming, laughing, literally NUTS!! When this happens it is next to impossible to calm him down. Last night we were trying to lie down with him for sleep time and he was jumping all over the bed and goofing around. We told him if he would like us to lay down with him then he needed to lay down otherwise mommy and daddy would leave the room and he could lay down himself. He wouldn't stop jumping so Daddy and I left the room. He layed on the bed screaming and crying for us to come back.....after 10 min I returned and asked him if he was ready to lay down and he said yes so I layed back down with him and he started jumping again... :/ so how do I get him to settle down? Did I do the right thing by leaving him or is that like CIO since he was crying for us and wouldn't go to sleep??? I am confused. If he gets to that point should we have just let him stay up until he konks out or did we try to do the right thing....PS: yes I realize getting him to bed sooner would be the way to prevent it but after he is already up to late how do we deal with this craziness??? TIA ladies!! :shifty

milkmommy
03-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Okay hear me out before going :jawdrop :no2 :giggle Have you tried saying bedtime doing the kisses and huggs ect for bedtime and actually leaving and seeing if he can calm him self on his own.. not really CIO but that he does seem to settle himself?
Were going through a similiar thing with Cecilia and its getting worse :rolleyes She thinks she wants to give up naps shes soo not ready but were having a horrible time with it. Laterly shes adding on the I didn't nap and I don't need to go to bed syndorme :rolleyes. so like last night its 6:45pm and shes already in overtired hyper mood as I'm trying to get her down. I did manage to "calm her" but she wanted to get up go down stairs sing "If your happy and you know it" 42 times jump bounce yell ect you get the picture, I generally like for her to be laying down ect but enough was enough it was time for bed she was over tired ect so I did finially say No. we'd read books we've sung songs we've told stories said prayers brushed our teeth you've had nummies you have your blanket there is a cup of water on the desk if your thirsty we've said goodnight to daddy, its not time for TV its time for bed its time for you to go laydown. I love. Kiss bye.. I closed the door and left. She went MOOMMYY dtairs (stairs) as in I want to go down stairs, I opened the door and just peeked in and said again I love you night night time. Except for a little sniffling she did fine, honetly I think she really did need someone to enforce the boundry, I've actually noticed this lately as shes getting older I think shes also teting her boundries and needs to know what they are and having me and DH appropiatly gently but firmily set these boundies is important.
I would not have let her get overly upset and truly CIO :no2

Deanna

ArmsOfLove
03-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Well, it's hard to answer the question because of the issue involved :think

Definately getting to bed earlier will help because he is clearly overtired. Ironic, imo, that overtired looks like rev'ved up :shrug But it does.

I've found, especially with the toddler ages, that overtired means exactly what you went through and, once it starts, it's like a roller coaster. It has to rev all the way to the top and then it can go down--but it does go down quickly. So I ride the wave. I sometimes have to step away, and sometimes that makes it hit the peak, but I don't do it to leave them to figure it out themselves--because they can't. But I may nee to step away and not be a part of the drama for a minute :shifty I've found the best thing to do is sit nearby and not engage them but make myself available. Eventually they calm themselves down and come to me to cuddle and get themselves to sleep :)

wombmate3
03-04-2006, 01:23 PM
We call it the "manic power hour" around here, and my Hannah is the queen. We call her "hannah on crack" because it's like she is all hopped up on some drug :shifty

I do let her lay in her room and cry when it's past a point where I can handle it. Otherwise, she continues to use me to ramp up even further. After she has cried for a little bit, I can go in and calm her down, but it's almost like she has to get that manic energy out by screaming for a few minutes before she is receptive to calming if that makes sense?

Marsha
03-04-2006, 07:20 PM
sometimes my 3 yo if she is overtired (and I feel bad, cause that's usually preventable) kind of NEEDS the cathartic cleansing of screaming. Or so it seems.
Whether I'm with her enforcing lying down and calming down boundary or if I walk away, the screaming is what gets it out of her system and then she'll sleep.
I've done both. I hate it. But I don't consider it CIO, cause it's kind of like "it's gonna happen before she CAN sleep anyway."
It really helps if I set a very firm boundary that she can rage against and then get it out of her system and go to sleep.
I'm very careful about her bed and nap time for that reason. I hate making her scream and cry just cause I got her off schedule.
hope that helps some

red_head_angel
03-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Thank you to the OP for asking and all of you for responding. I have been wondering the same thing with my soon to be 2 yr. old and 4 yr. old. With the older one, I don't feel so much as it is CIO as it is him trying to stay up and annoy me. :rolleyes I just keep saying "good night" until he settles down and goes to sleep. With my little one, if he fusses for more than 10 min. I will go try to find a solution. This evening (before he got to 10 min) he woke up brother, so I went in and gave my toddler a bottle and settled him back into bed. He fussed for about 1 min, then went off to sleep.

One thought for the OP. Make sure to explain to your DC what is going on. He may not understand this rollercoaster he is on. Like Deanna said, explain here is ... (everything you need), you did not settle down so mommy has to leave the room, but I love you (hugs and kisses). It is ok to cry and release those feelings. I will be back in 5 minutes to try again. (My oldest loves to 'try again', it makes him feel more in control).

luvinmykidz
03-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the advice gals :yes I will give those suggestions a try :tu I also just purchased some of those hylands calm forte for kids so we may give those a try too :grin :shifty have any of you tried them????