PDA

View Full Version : Pillowcase dresses - adorable!

Marmee
03-04-2006, 09:25 AM
These are so cute! I think they would be really easy! I bought the stuff to try one and if I get my housecleaning done, I am going to get started today. I will let you know how it goes.

Look at how sweet they are:

www.abbedesigns.com

www.primandsassycottage.com

Anyone else made them?

2sunshines
03-04-2006, 09:49 AM
They look cute. Let us know how it works out for you.

ArmsOfLove
03-04-2006, 10:17 AM
so very cute! I bet dd would love that. She loves simple things like that :grin

Marmee
03-04-2006, 06:44 PM
It turned out so sweet! It was incredibly easy! I wish I could draw a sketch to show you. I am not good at writing out instructions with no hand motions or drawings! :) I cut a length of fabric (from some I had) that would be a bit longer than a real pillowcase. My daughter is almost 7, so an actual pillowcase would be a bit small. I sewed up the sides of the rectangle to make a "sack". The top and bottom were open. Then I cut arm holes on the top of both sides. Then I turned down the edges of the armholes and sewed them (turned under) to make a finished armhole. Then I folded the top of the fabric in front and back and sewed an inch and a half casing along the top. Then I inserted the ribbon and fed it through the top casing. (2 lengths of ribbon - one on the front casing/one on the back) Then my dd tried it on and we tied the ribbons over each shoulder. Hem it up and you are done! I tried it (to figure it out) on a piece of $1.00 a yard black gingham. The ribbon for the top is pink polka dots (my dd LOVES pink and black!). The result is very cute! I bought a piece of slightly heavier fabric in bright pink and green stripes (springtime stuff) with ribbon in green polka dots. I hope to make that one in the next few days. We bought enough ribbon for my dd to make matching flip flops to go with the sundresses - she is also wanting to use the extra fabric to make matching outfits for her American Girl dolls. So, it was a huge success and at a fraction of the cost to buy them ready-made. Now I am planning to make some for my nieces as gifts. They are very small (infant and toddler) and it should be a breeze to make them one. :tu

arwen_tiw
03-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Oh wow this is such a good idea. :mrgreen I'm going to have a go and let you know how it comes out... Or maybe when my other projects are a bit further along. ;)

Edited to add that I finished this today and it is very long on my tiny Jenna but it's so CUTE. :-) We used a pale creamy yellow pillowcase with lace trim and I had masses of yellow ribbon too. :tu I can't wait now to make another one, lol, even though it will be a while before they aren't tripping her up any more. :giggle

churchpunkmom
03-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Those are SO cute! I think I'll try the peasant style... I also have a bunch of onesies that I'm not crazy about using cause they don't fit well over cloth diapers - maybe I'll cut the bottom off and use them for t-shirt dresses. Great stuff!! Thanks for sharing!

Garnet
03-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Marmee, I've seen a design with pillowcase dresses, but these were jumper style, with buttons at the top! The woman says she lined up one of her dd's jumpers, cut the top, hemmed and added buttons. It was cute too! Also with pillow cases that are vintage, and soem of the fabric is okay and some is damaged, you can cut off the embroidery to make trim for a dress, or a pocket on a dress. Or if enough is undamaged, a skirt.

ps like your name, reminds me of my fav book. :tu

MarynMunchkins
03-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Those are adorable. :hearts Ana and I are going to have to go fabric shopping. :)

Do you think bias tape would work to finish off the arms? :think I think she'd be irritated if I just turned the edges over.

arwen_tiw
03-15-2006, 04:27 AM
:yes I made another one last night with bright pink bias binding round the armholes... Though I'm still not 100% getting the hang of the stuff it looks really sweet; this one is pale green with pink ribbon. Jenna looks like a princess in them, only she can't really wear them apart from for me to coo over - she's too diddy. :giggle

catholicapmom
03-15-2006, 05:27 AM
too cute!!!!! :hearts where did you find the directions? Or are you good enough to look at something and know how to sew it? :giggle I'm new to sewing, so I'm not very confident but I'd LOVE to make Bethany some dresses. So far all I've made her is diapers. :shifty

greenemama
03-15-2006, 05:29 AM
super cute. i wonder how it would work for a summer shirt for mama . . . :scratch

MarynMunchkins
03-15-2006, 05:42 AM
Here's pretty detailed directions...

http://www.andersonsplace.net/sewing/pillow_case_dress.htm

arwen_tiw
03-15-2006, 05:47 AM
too cute!!!!! :hearts where did you find the directions? Or are you good enough to look at something and know how to sew it? :giggle I'm new to sewing, so I'm not very confident but I'd LOVE to make Bethany some dresses. So far all I've made her is diapers. :shifty

I followed Marmee's instructions and just cut at the closed end of the pillowcase. Then I hemmed, and made a kinda wide hem for the ribbon to pull through. :-)

catholicapmom
03-15-2006, 05:55 AM
Cool! Thanks! :tu

Heather Micaela
03-15-2006, 05:58 AM
y'all are gong to have to post some pics of your creations!

kris10s
03-15-2006, 08:49 AM
The arm hole still confuses me... but I am definitely going to try this!

I wish I had a Pottery Barn Kids outlet nearby for a great deal on cute pillowcases!

Marmee
03-16-2006, 05:11 AM
I am glad everyone liked these! We are still cranking them out! It is so easy to use any fabric you like - just make a "sack" out of it and go from there. They do make really cute tops for older girls with capri's too. Gingham and chenille also are cute fabric choices.

PurpleButterfly
03-16-2006, 05:42 AM
How precious and sweet - I LOVE those! The basic style with pantaloons is so appealing to me. I can't wait to see things like this on my own little girl someday soon!

:hearts

kris10s
03-16-2006, 07:01 AM
http://rowena.typepad.com/rostitchery/2004/06/done_is_better_.html does it slightly differently.

MarynMunchkins
03-16-2006, 07:05 AM
I didn't think about the strings being a problem. Well, actually, for Ana I don't think they are. :giggle

Marmee
03-16-2006, 08:56 AM
My daughter will be seven next month - no string problems here. Fun to see different ways of doing it though.

LauraK
03-23-2006, 10:33 AM
I just got a sewing machine and I am a total beginner and this looks like something I can make. I am going to try it!!!

LauraK
03-23-2006, 09:55 PM
I made one!! In one day, I made a dress. I used the link Kris posted, and I loved her quote about "completion is more important than perfection" which is true in so many things in life!!! I used some cheap fabric I got at walmart for $1 a yard, as I did not want to practice with good material but it is cute enough for dd to wear this summer. Perfect for summer days! Perhaps if time permits I'll snap a picture of her in it tomorrow.

This is so neat as I have literally owned a sewing machine for 2 days and I could make this so I am feeling pretty psyched. I am loving my new machine, it is basic but seems to sew really well. :grin

Marmee
03-24-2006, 06:31 AM
Great! I am glad it worked out for you! :tu

LauraK
03-24-2006, 09:18 AM
here are pictures

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/abq_mom_of_two/P1010025_cropped.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/abq_mom_of_two/P1010023_cropped.jpg

arwen_tiw
03-24-2006, 12:06 PM
CUTE! :mrgreen :heart

I've got some amazing fabrics to make a couple more tomorrow - if I can get our camera to work I'll try to post pics but the flash has been broken for a while so I might have to wait til we can replace it. These dresses are adorable though. :-)

amanda1
03-27-2006, 06:39 AM
Laura
I have to say your dd would make ANY outfit look adorable!!!

I really like the dress and your post has inspired me! I have been wanting to make one of these but was concerned without a "real" pattern I'd mess it up. I have broken out the sewing machine for the first time since prior to being PG, so I was a little intimidated by it, but will definitely give it a try now!

LauraK
03-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the compliment on my dd.

If I can sew one of these...anyone can :-)