PDA

View Full Version : Quilt from Baby clothes

Marmee
03-03-2006, 09:34 PM
I had saved a magazine article along time ago (Martha Stewart Baby) about making one of these - now, of course, I can't find it. I may have thrown in out! Does anyone know about these and how you do it?

Radosny Matka
03-03-2006, 09:46 PM
What a neat idea!

Singingmom
03-03-2006, 09:54 PM
I have a friend who plans to do this. I assume you would cut the clothes into pieces according to the pattern you chose. I couldn't give you specifics, but I'm interested in learning! :popcorn

QuiltinGramma
03-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Another idea would be to cut the front of the clothes from the back and then applique it onto blocks or on a one big solid piece of material. That way you could still see the actual dress or top or ..... that you really loved. :)

Singingmom
03-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Another idea would be to cut the front of the clothes from the back and then applique it onto blocks or on a one big solid piece of material. That way you could still see the actual dress or top or ..... that you really loved. :)

Ooo, wouldn't that be gorgeous! :)

Marmee
03-04-2006, 09:15 AM
The quilt I saw had made squares from the front of the little smocked dresses, etc. It was too cute! I just wasn't sure how to go about it?

QuiltinGramma
03-04-2006, 08:49 PM
If you're afraid that the smocking will come undone when you cut it into squares, either stitch around each square immediately after you cut it out or even just before you cut it out. That way the stitching you do around the piece will stablize the square and prevent the smocking from coming out. I've never done it before but stitching around the piece might just do the trick. Others may have some experience with smocking and have some better ideas about how to work with it.

You could probably use any simple quilt pattern and substitute the smocked piece for one of the squares. Even a four-patch would work with the smocked pieces in opposite corners, so that your rows would alternate a smocked piece, plain piece, smocked piece, plain piece....SeeWIM?

Or your smocked pieces could make up a border around/near the outside of the quilt with other pieces (regular quilting material or other baby clothes cut into squares) in the center. The another border could go on the outside of the smocked pieces and finally the binding.

Just some thoughts.....
Good luck! :)

cklewis
03-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Okay. I have about a jillion articles on this in my stash. I think I even have that Martha Stewart one (i'm a packrat with sewing/home magazines).

QuiltinGramma -- OF COURSE ;) -- has the right idea for the simple squares, I believe. :yes

How can I communicate this to you? . . . Let me go find that Martha article. Martha Pullen's forum (http://forums.marthapullen.com/index.php?f=0) has a lot of help in this regard. The ladies are just gems over there. I would think that they would know how and when to do the little smocked dress thing. . . . I've seen that too. Did it look like th actual little dress in the pic? WHERE did I see that? <Camille scratches preggo brain>

C