PDA

View Full Version : Quick help please. What should I do???

Radosny Matka
03-03-2006, 04:49 PM
I am so irritated. Nathaniel just PEED on my floor while I was putting the baby to sleep. He did it on purpose, to be funny I guess (or test me). He told me he was going to do this earlier and I said something along the lines of pee going in the toilet and that I did not want to see it on my floor. :banghead I came downstairs and he said, "I peed on your floor." I glanced quick and didn't see anything. I said, "where." He said, "here." I looked and he peed on both my recliner and my floor. :mad He could tell I wasn't pleased and then offered, "the dog did it." I said, "I am so upset that I am leaving the room to calm down. Do not follow me." I am going to have him clean it up, but what else should I do??? We have been having issues this past 1-1/2 weeks with him having accidents (after 2 years of being potty trained and no accidents - I did have him checked for an UTI and it was clear). Peeing on my floor is yucky and not acceptable. Any advice for me on addressing the pee on the floor incident (or addressing the accident issue as well)?

Amber
03-03-2006, 05:04 PM
This may not be much help, but I think this is one that I would toss to DH to handle. And they could talk about where it is okay to pee (in the toilet or outside if that is okay in your family etc.) and where we don't pee (on people's things, in the house, in public etc).

Joanne
03-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Peeing on my floor is yucky and not acceptable. Any advice for me on addressing the pee on the floor incident (or addressing the accident issue as well)?

You are right in having him help clean up (even though we know it's not really help in this case).

I would also put him back in diapers. The choices are in a potty or a diaper. He's unable to control himself with this right now, so he's chosen a diaper.

Radosny Matka
03-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Peeing on my floor is yucky and not acceptable. Any advice for me on addressing the pee on the floor incident (or addressing the accident issue as well)?

You are right in having him help clean up (even though we know it's not really help in this case).

I would also put him back in diapers. The choices are in a potty or a diaper. He's unable to control himself with this right now, so he's chosen a diaper.

I have thought of this...maybe I should pick up some disposables, cause I imagine they would be less comfy than cloth. The only problem is that he would probably LIKE to be put back in diapers. Plus, I can't send him to preschool in diapers...

milkmommy
03-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Okay I might be streaching here but what part of testing you do you think he was doing? What if you totally played it the opposite of what he might be expecting. Hug him and tell him that despite his actions you love him very much I'd still have him clean it up and take responsiblity, but I wonder if you take away the battle it might not fix it self? Or is this a reccuring problem.

Deanna

Radosny Matka
03-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Okay I might be streaching here but what part of testing you do you think he was doing? What if you totally played it the opposite of what he might be expecting. Hug him and tell him that despite his actions you love him very much I'd still have him clean it up and take responsiblity, but I wonder if you take away the battle it might not fix it self? Or is this a reccuring problem.

Deanna

It's not a battle. If he has an accident, we change him with a simple reminder to use the potty next time. I think there is nothing wrong with him seeing my frustrations with my chair being peed on.

hsgbdmama
03-03-2006, 07:06 PM
:hugheart No, there is nothing wrong with being upset about your chair and floor being peed on. He knew what he did wrong, especially when (a) he told you he was going to do it and (b) he blamed it on the dog.

ITTA with Joanne -- put him in diapers, explaining that he has made that choice. With preschool, could you pull him out for a bit, telling him that he needs to be able to **always** go in the toilet in order to go to preschool, and since he is unwilling to do that, he cannot attend preschool until he decides to start going in the toilet again? :shrug

milkmommy
03-03-2006, 07:13 PM
He did it on purpose, to be funny I guess (or test me). He told me he was going to do this earlier

Its this that I'm refering too, I'm wondering if in his own "immature" way wasn't setting up a test a way to see how you will not just react but what you will consider "more important' (in his child way) him or the chair.
I agree its fine and I think he should see your frustration I'm not suggesting going Oh how cute here lets clean ;) :rolleyes2 but I thimk its also might be good for him to see even we we do things that really upset mommy we consider the "person" more important that the object. My words sound bad on paper as I'm reading them, :/ :hugheart sigh...
Deanna

Radosny Matka
03-03-2006, 07:53 PM
:hugheart No, there is nothing wrong with being upset about your chair and floor being peed on. He knew what he did wrong, especially when (a) he told you he was going to do it and (b) he blamed it on the dog.

ITTA with Joanne -- put him in diapers, explaining that he has made that choice. With preschool, could you pull him out for a bit, telling him that he needs to be able to **always** go in the toilet in order to go to preschool, and since he is unwilling to do that, he cannot attend preschool until he decides to start going in the toilet again? :shrug

I'm not sure if putting him in diapers really is the best thing. You see, he has only been night and poo learned for about 2 months. It look a loooong time for him to poo learn (he pee learned at 3). I'm really afraid that if he put him back into diapers, we will have these issues all over again. What does everyone else think about that???

AmyDoll
03-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I think Kiloyd had a similar problem with her son - I just pm'd her to have her come read this. I know they had "issues" with the potty. Maybe she has a tip?

It might be a boy thing - like he's figured out the control thing and it's pretty cool to see the pee come out - boys are funny about peeing. I just think about the dum boys in college writing their names in the snow etc.

Radosny Matka
03-03-2006, 09:21 PM
It might be a boy thing - like he's figured out the control thing and it's pretty cool to see the pee come out - boys are funny about peeing. I just think about the dum boys in college writing their names in the snow etc.

:think It could be. I have noticed that he is playing with it a LOT right now. Could the increased touching cause him to pee more???? :scratch

luvinmykidz
03-03-2006, 10:24 PM
I had the same problem with my guy when he was learning. I found the more upset I got the more he would do it.....Finally when we decided to not let it bother us anymore it subsided. I know its kind of grose since our whole house is carpeted I sympathize with you ;) Whenver he would do it we would just say you know where the cloths are, please go clean it up. When he saw we weren't giving him a reaction or any attention the behaviour stopped but it went for days while we reacted to it... :hug

kiloyd
03-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Amydoll pm'd me to read your post.

My DS is the same age as yours, 6/01. He also potty learned at 3 yrs. Recently I had a problem with him peeing on the floor because he would wait until he had to go soooo bad and couldn't hold it.

Sometimes he would pee on the floor in the bathroom because he said he couldn't get his pants down fast enough. But there were times when he would pee on the floor in his room, aaahhhhh! I would get the cloth diapers out and have him help me clean it up.

What I had to do was discipline myself to remind him to go try and go to the bathroom every few hours so he didn't wait until the last second.

Do you think your son is doing that and just forgetting to go until it's too late?

wombmate3
03-04-2006, 01:12 PM

I tried this with Hannah just last week because she has been having huge regression issues. She just took the diaper off and peed on the floor anyway :doh

I figured out her issue though finally. She fell into the toilet once recently and was afraid to go back by herself. I have been setting a timer and taking her in there every 30-45 minutes to pee even if she doesn't want to. No more peeing on the floor. She is a lot younger than your ds though!
:hug