PDA

View Full Version : should I take DS to the doctor today?

poleidopy
03-03-2006, 01:35 PM
DH is really worried and considering leaving work early to take DS to the doctor. I wasn't too worried, but DH worrying worries me, KWIM?
here are DS's symptoms:
*fever up to 103.5 has been going up & down for 4 days now, responds to tylenol
*cough, difficulty breathing, MUCH worse at night. Does NOT respond to breathing treatment (nebulizer) but gets a little better w/cough meds
*not eating
*diarrhea the 1st day, better now
*extremely lethargic (He's falling asleep sitting straight up on my lap right now. Normally he'd be fussing w/the keyboard or getting mad at me or running around)
*plain old miserable...cranky, clingy-normal "sick kid" symptoms in my book :shrug

So DH is super worried. I just figure he's got a virus. I really don't want to expose him to all the germs at the doctors office, there's a lot of hand, foot & mouth disease & flu going on around here, but if I need to take him I will. WWYD?

snlmama
03-03-2006, 01:38 PM
With the weekend coming on I'd take him in. Having been there w/ breathing difficulties I'd much rather see my pedi on Friday afternoon than the ER dr. on Sat....

:pray :hug2

Poema304
03-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I would take him him just because his fever is so high. My DS just got over Roseola, which appearantly is making it's rounds. It started out with a fever of 103 and he had all the symptoms you were describing. After the 3rd day, the fever went away and then on the 4th day he broke out in a rash which was gone by the end of the 5th day. Anyways, I'd get it checked out just to be sure it's nothing serious. Better safe than sorry, right?

cobluegirl
03-03-2006, 07:41 PM
for me personally.. in my experience..everytime I caved to take my kids into the ER because someone else expected it (my mom) it was a complete waste of money...
I would just wait it out but trust your instincts.

poleidopy
03-04-2006, 07:22 AM
well I took him to the doc (saw a doc we'd never seen before & she barely said 5 words other than "Hi!" ) She didn't say WHAT she thought was wrong with him, but gave him amoxycillin, albuterol & cough syrup. :/ I think we're gonna wait on the antibiotic. So far no fever & he didn't cough as much last night - AND his breathing is much better. A waste of time, but DH feels better. Oh - and it's probably a virus. A bunch of other kids in the waiting room had the EXACT same thing (I only know because ds had me running after him constantly because he kept trying to hug all the little girls and I was scared their mom's would get mad because he is sick. The mom's were like "Oh, DD has a cough, fever, etc too, no prob." :shifty ) and described ALL the same symptoms ds had.