PDA

View Full Version : Spring is just around the corner!!!

SueQ
03-03-2006, 06:19 AM
So are you all planning what plants you are going to plant this year?

What are you planning on plant in your vegetable garden if you will have one?

What are you planning on planting in your flower gardens?

Let's share and dream together!!! Well, I am :nak and now toddler is trying to climb on my lap, too, so I'll share mine later. ;)

DeenyB
03-03-2006, 06:24 AM
I AM SOOOO EXCITED for Spring. I have been planning my veggie and flower Gardens. I dont think I have ever been this anxious! The weather here is starting to finally get warmer (40 :shiver)
For my flowers, the only thing I have decided on is marigolds and Iris'.

For the veggie garden I am planning:

Green beans
Corn
tomatoes
cumcumbers (ohhhh drooling)
kolrabi
celery
green peppers
some hot peppers dh likes to grow
carrots
onions
broccoli
radishes
strawberries
Dh always likes to add one new item every year so whatever he wants. (I love gardening with him :heart )

These are what we have had in the past, and it has always worked out well.

greenemama
03-03-2006, 07:11 AM
we don't have a lot of sun in our yard, so mostly i'm planting shade loving perennials.

as far as veggies go, we're doing a salsa garden:
tomatoes
hot peppers
bell peppers

i'm planting lots of herbs, mostly basil because i'm addicted to pesto!
basil
oregano
lemon balm
rosemary
thyme
chamomile
parsley
sage
chives
lavendar
peppermint

flowers to pick:
zinnias
daisies
bachelor buttons

shade loving perennials:
ajuga
jack in the pulpit
lady's mantle
asters
lots of impatiens
two different clematis
elephants ear
english ivy
coral bells
variety hosta
two hydrangea
forget me nots
possibly azaleas
periwinkles
variety ferns

in the pots in the front:
unsure :) something viny. i tried eugenia topiaries last year but the drought killed them so i pus some smaller things (ferns, etc.) and they did really well and were kind of exotic so i'm torn -- something tall? or not?

and some morning glories on our temporary pergola/tent thingy :)

SueQ
03-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Oh, what neat gardens you all will have! :tu :)

I am still uncertain on how big my garden will be this year. I don't want to plant more than I can keep up with and with having an infant... I don't know. I do know that I'll have to plant:
Tomatoes (a slicing and a paste tomato)
Lettuce
Radishes
Peppers (hot and sweet)
Red Beets (JT loves them and so I have to plant them for him)
Cucumbers for DT
Most likely I'll plant green beans as well

We don't have an herb garden at this place and I miss having one but we will not be putting one in this year either. I may grow herbs in pots though. That way I'll have them but won't need to weed around them. I'll just have to keep them watered.

As for my flowerbeds... I have lots of periennials already planted and just need to add some annuals. I always plant pansies and salvia but will decide what else to add when I visit the nursery.

greenemama
03-09-2006, 06:51 AM
I may grow herbs in pots though.

the nice thing about herbs in pots is that you can bring the pot inside with you and cut what you need as you need it. i'm always under or over estimating what i need with that kind of thing so it's nice to not run back and forth!

SueQ
03-10-2006, 06:47 AM
:tu Yes, that is why I am considering pots. Plus I could bring them in for the winter and have an indoor herb garden! :tu :mrgreen The down side is I would have to remember to water them more frequently then I do my garden. That shouldn't be a problem but with my memory it is. :blush

naturalmama83
03-15-2006, 07:41 AM
I can't wait until it's a little warmer outside!!! I'm itching to get my hands in the dirt :lol

We are planning a big garden!
onions
potatoes
tomatoes
peppers
various greens
brussels sprouts
sweet corn
broccoli
carrots
shell peas
bush beans
pumpkins
watermelon

And I would like to get some soft fruit started (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries) and a few apple trees planted!