PDA

View Full Version : vegan AND diabetic - need food ideas!

domesticzookeeper
03-03-2006, 04:53 AM
I follow the Orthodox fast for Lent: no meat, fish (w/backbone), eggs, dairy, and very little oil. I was a strict vegan for over a year, so I'm not struggling so much to feed myself.

But my dad, ever-so-cool father that he is, decided to join me. And he's a Type I diabetic. He can't have large amounts of pasta, potatoes, rice, or corn, and we have to watch out for high-sugar veggies (like carrots). What am I going to do with this man? :giggle

We do a lot of salads, and beans. Chili is definitely a staple :tu I'm looking for some low-carb/sugar meals that would be filling for a grown man (because I'm realizing that my portion sizes are sooo not going to cut it :O)

ArmsOfLove
03-03-2006, 09:17 AM
he may want to do some searches on the Insulin Resistance Diet and put together some vegan meals following those principles with beans and soy. Oh, broccoli is very high in protein too :tu

ShangriLewis
03-08-2006, 09:13 AM
He should eat a salad before lunch and dinner. It makes a huge change in blood sugar levels. I had gestational diabetes and that saved me! Sprouted grain breads are awesome especially if you can find the one that has higher protein. Fruit smoothies with flavored protein powder that has been sweetened with Stevia and no milk are great. Gimmie Lean veggie sausage is vegan and low fat! Tofurkey deli slices make a great sandwich.

A lot more research has been done about the benefits of a whole foods diet for diabetics.

ThirstyTurtle
03-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Maybe you should to talk to your priest about what your dad should do for his fasting. Usually a person new to Orthodox fasting isn't encouraged by their priest to take on the full fast immediately. It just depends on what the person can handle at first and then changes are slowly made. Also, people with medical conditions such as diabetes are usually given a different fasting rule to follow depending on what they can eat in their diet . . . if they are even encouraged to fast at all by their priest. I have heard it said that managing a disease like diabetes is a fast in and of itself. Quantity is also important during fasting. He could fast simply by eating less of "non-fast" foods.

If your father does do a full-blown Orthodox fast --
Stir fry veggies (I like zucchini, broccoli, bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic, carrots, and snap peas. I don't know if anything besides the carrots have high sugar content).
Sprouted grain tortillas with hummus and grilled bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
Remember that shellfish (shrimp, clams, oysters, etc.) are OK. You can add them to salads and stir fry veggies.