PDA

View Full Version : Preschooler ignoring commands

LittleSweetPeas
03-02-2006, 08:53 PM
My DD is almost 3. She has begun not listening--period. I ask her to do something and she doesnt do it. I ask her to come over to me or not to go to a portion of the playground and she does it anyway often running away laughing maniacally. Its a daily thing with her, all day, and its wearing on me. I'm at a loss for what to do. I was out with a girfriend when DD ran away from me and her DD stopped when she said "stop". I commented out of frustration over what my DD did and friend says, "My DD doesnt run away because she knows she'll get her little butt beat if she defies me like that." I'm frustrated.

I have:
1. given her choices (put on your pants first or your shirt first)
2. gone to her and walked her back when she has run away
3. told her we would have to leave ____ if she couldnt follow directions and stop when asked and then did it

I have often done #3 and she'll scream as we're leaving "I'm ready to listen now! Mommy I dont want to goooooooo!" but none of this feels like its working.

Suggestions? PLEASE?

KayandLydisMom
03-02-2006, 09:13 PM
:popcorn I am totally in the same boat here! Cant wait to see what others suggest.

AmyDoll
03-02-2006, 09:17 PM
We do #3 a lot - Sam runs when I tell him it's time to go. I say you can March to the gate, door or whatever or Mommy will carry you.

"You need to stop yourself or Mommy will help you stop. Can you stop yourself?" (Said quickly and sternly)

"Let's sing _____ while you put your shirt on."

Sam gets one chance when we're out - if he runs away and we're shopping or something then he gets in the cart/stroller - no exceptions. He gets a warning in the car and when we enter the store and when he looks like he might be thinking about it. My job is to keep him safe and running away is scary! :hug

I wouldn't expect him to have the impulse control to stay within boundaries (like at the playground) w/o a fence or holding my hand. He can't even sit on the "chicken rug" in our foyer for 3 minutes while I get my coat and shoes on. The pretty colors at the playground are much more distracting then my foyer.

klpmommy
03-03-2006, 01:15 PM
:popcorn

I know my ds had a total personality change right before he turned 3 y/o. Three has been much harder with him than 2 ever was. He also will not listen- just totally ignore the question or request or whatever.

LittleSweetPeas
03-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Yes! TOTAL personality change. I find myself wanting to pull my hair out that my formerly sweet and compliant daughter has turned into this! :hissyfit

I could see not having impulse control in exciting situations but this is everyday stuff as well. I ask her to put her socks on and she doesnt do it or goes into her room and then becomes distracted. Some days she just flat out sits there and doesnt move! I could physically bring her her socks (which she is fully capable of retrieving) set them in front of her and she will still not put them on.

AmyDoll
03-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Yup!! She's learning that she's a totally seperate person from you :hug That's good and OK but you will have to teach her that some things are non-negotiable.

Do you "five-step" her? I'm wondering if that would help?

Mamatoto
03-03-2006, 04:20 PM
I am amazed she waited until three!!! :giggle

For my little ones, I am very hands on. I don't ask, I tell, while doing at the same time. "Here we go," as I pick them up and place them into the bath. With dressing, I simply sit with them and put their clothes on. Shoes are the same way. At the playground, it depends what I needed. I don't like to interrupt that play focus and I know they don't like it either, sort of like when I am on the computer and they are asking me questions at the same time. :rolleyes2 So if I need something I will walk slowly up to them smiling and whisper it to them,which is less threatening than if I am bellowing at them. I would want to run away,too, if I was being bellowed at. :giggle