PDA

View Full Version : online source for non dairy "cheese"

geegee
03-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Dear Ladies,For the past few months I have been trying to wean my children off dairy due to an allery I have discovered the cheese allturnitive I have been using has caesin in it.Do any of you have a good source for soy cheese{vegan}.It has to melt well because my DS has to have pizza.Thanks,Gina

Irene
03-02-2006, 03:03 PM
:hugheart it has to be online? I know that some people have good luck with Follow your heart (http://www.imearthkind.com/)... oh, it looks like they do have online sources :)

ShangriLewis
03-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Follow your heart is really good.

You can use a white sauce for some things, too.

What are you specifically looking to replace it in?

Stonebeck Farm
03-03-2006, 05:05 AM
We buy CHREESE from Roads Ends Organics. We love it on pizza and for grilled cheese and Mac and cheese. CHREESE is completely dairy free. They even offer GLUTEN free. http://www.chreese.com/

It uses nutritional yeast. I have some great recipes from Kym (Purple Butterfly) from several years ago that are almost identical. But for some reason I could not make them work right. Yet everyone I give the recipe to loves them! It seem to be the one cooking block I have. I also have another melty cheese recipe that gets rave reviews in cooking. But we stick with the Roads End which we buy in bulk.

sunburst
03-15-2006, 09:38 PM
WE like nutritional yeast products, esp mixed with a litle salt and garlic powder and flax oil/butter. We add it to noodles.
But for brand names the ultimate BEST for taste and meltability is Vegan Gourmet. We just found it a few months ago but it is awesome.

Calm_Chaos
04-04-2006, 06:13 AM
We buy CHREESE from Roads Ends Organics. We love it on pizza and for grilled cheese and Mac and cheese. CHREESE is completely dairy free. They even offer GLUTEN free. http://www.chreese.com/

It uses nutritional yeast. I have some great recipes from Kym (Purple Butterfly) from several years ago that are almost identical. But for some reason I could not make them work right. Yet everyone I give the recipe to loves them! It seem to be the one cooking block I have. I also have another melty cheese recipe that gets rave reviews in cooking. But we stick with the Roads End which we buy in bulk.

Thanks!! :woohoo

I often think about going to Veggie Boards, where I am a member, to ask about buying true vegan "cheese". (I discovered that the soy/veggie alternative I was using, Veggie Slices and Veggie Shreds, used caesin; I was not happy.) Last night, I was making my husband a couple of grilled cheese sandwhiches and they smell really good. I miss cheese, to a degree. (I don't miss milk or meat though, however I do use soy milk.) Anyway, I think Trader Joe's sells true vegan cheese, but I've not asked about it. One of the stores is in the same neighborhood as my church. I might look tomorrow. Yay!!

Laura

geegee
08-22-2006, 09:15 AM
I recently started making my own block cheeses.They taste better than anything out there and I have saved a bundle.I use the recipes in the uncheese cookbook. :rockon

ChristianMother27
08-22-2006, 09:16 AM
the follow your heart stuff is the best vegan cheese i've ever found. it melts great on pizzas, it tastes great too. i've never eaten it plain (cuz i can't get past that it's "wet" lol) but it is very good.