PDA

View Full Version : My SIl needs help gaining weight (x-posted)

Close2MyHeart
03-01-2006, 11:55 AM
My SIL just IM'd me and said she needs some help gaining weight. She's lost a ton accidentally, but is struggling because she's gotten to (or is getting to) an unhealthy weight for her height. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what have you done about it?

Thanks!

Feorsteorra
03-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Help gaining weight...gee, I wish I needed that kind of help... :P~ Sorry, anyway...

How is her diet? She should be eating healthy foods that also have high concentrations of good fats. Olive oil, avacado, dairy products, and meat are all healthy things she could try to eat more of. It's easy to gain weight by eating deep fried foods and such, but I assume she wants to gain weight and remain helahty.

hbmamma
03-01-2006, 12:36 PM
I've had two incidents where I lost a lot of weight to having the flu & pregnancy. Obviously I needed to gain weight back without indulging in McDonald's or the like. I tried to eat more frequently, healthier fatty foods (things like nuts, avocado, etc). When I was pregnant, I drank Strawberry Boost liquid drinks. They had a healthy amount of protein and fats that helped me put my weight back on. It was one of the only things I could stomach. Another similar drink would be Ensure.

Hope your SIL gets back to a health weight soon! :tu

Close2MyHeart
03-01-2006, 12:37 PM
:woohoo I gave her good advice. :grin I told her the same things you said, so hopefully that will help her out. Thank you!

cobluegirl
03-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Help gaining weight...gee, I wish I needed that kind of help... :P~ Sorry, anyway...

How is her diet? She should be eating healthy foods that also have high concentrations of good fats. Olive oil, avacado, dairy products, and meat are all healthy things she could try to eat more of. It's easy to gain weight by eating deep fried foods and such, but I assume she wants to gain weight and remain helahty.

yup that!!

Cheyenne
03-01-2006, 03:03 PM
I think coconut oil or milk is good too. It is very good for you.

righteous mama
03-01-2006, 06:40 PM
If she was in California she could go on the In & Out diet...a shake in the morning, one for lunch, and a double-double for dinner. ;)

My grandma used to be forced to drink heavy cream...she's a skinny little thing.

I think just eating healthy higher fat foods like avocados and nuts would help. At least it would be a start.

Strumbelina
03-02-2006, 11:52 AM
I've had that problem my whole life...it's called Celiac Disease :cool :lol. Really, though, not a lot of people experience this sort of thing, and it may be worth checking out any absorption issues. However, aside from all that, the advice pp's have given is really good. I had to drink Boost Plus three times a day when I was prego in addition to like a 2500 cal diet. I like that option except it's high in sugar. The good fats are great for this, and as long as she is eating healthy and feels OK, she shouldn't worry about it. Some people are just really supposed to be skinny....skinniness is not a disease :). She could also try working out with weights...that helped me after my celiac diagnosis like nothing else did.

HTH,
Kara

puah
03-06-2006, 02:13 AM
In addition to olive oil there are other 'healthy' oils...sesame, walnut, almond. I struggle with keeping weight on too and then try and add these to things I'm already eating instead of trying to add additional eating sessions. I also drink full cream milk in things when I get 'skinny' as my dh says (and he does NOT like that). One thing that helps me a lot is to have 'milkshake' every afternoon with just full cream milk, frozen bananas, and wheat germ.

bluedotsmom
03-06-2006, 05:57 AM
How did she lose too much weight? That may make a difference for how she puts it back on. Some PP's mentioned health issues - celiac, etc... Just thinking out loud