PDA

View Full Version : March - the third thing you can do to improve your diet

thomer
03-01-2006, 06:01 AM
March is cutting out High Fructose Corn Syrup - good timing for the first day of Lent

Oh CocaCola, may it be as if I never knew you
May my lips forget your sweet taste
May my mind never think of you again
I must be strong when I pass the soda machine
I must only order water at restaurants, even though I hear you calling me
I wish I had never become addicted to you, CocaCola
But it is better to have tasted and lost, then to have never tasted at all

*sigh*

High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) is an artificial sweetner made from corn. It's basically a highly concentrated sweetner, and it's cheaper for food companies to use than sugar, so it's in everything
Since it's an artificial sweetner, your body wil metabolize it differently from sugar. HFCS does not stimulate insulin production (which will help your body convert sugar into energy), nor does it stimulate lepitin production (which tells your body that you are full). So basically, it will make you fat. Plus, since it's so highly concentrated, your body will keep craving it more and more until you almost have an addiction to the stuff. There's also a whole host of theories that say it causes type II diabetes among other things.

If you really want to give up HFCS, you will have to read the labels on everything. Like last month's Partially Hydrogenated Oils, HFCS is in almost every processed food. Mainly it's in soda, but also breads, cookies, crackers, salad dressing, catsup, jam, spaghetti sauce, and all kinds of things you wouldn't expect. It may take a while to find the products that don't have this, but then you can just stick to that brand and be safe. You may have to read a lot of labels, but more natural products are out there. Just forget the WonderBread and CocaCola.

About a year ago, I gave up all sweets (I lasted for two months), and it really was beneficial. I was having almost constant headaches and had massive mood swings (especially around 'that time'). I avoided all sugar, but I really think it was the HFCS that was affecting me. I felt so much better for those couple of months. Even now, I have the occasional soda, I feel dizzy and have a headache for the rest of the day, sometimes into the next.

I don't think this month will be too hard, since I've been avoiding this for a while now. But I know when I first started, it was really hard to find products without HFCS.

lumpofclay
03-01-2006, 06:53 AM
:hunh Why did I read this thread? Sometimes I hate "more knowledge." ;)

I have noticed HFCS is in everything!! We try to eat a healthy diet. We eat no meat or meat products, other than seafood and eggs. We eat lots of fruits and veggies. We cook a lot from scratch, but sometimes I just need a "convenience" food. Take the other day, for instance...we had a birthday party, an hour away. The party started at noon. We fed everyone a late breakfast at home, but knew we'd need to eat a little snack on the way to the party. I ran in the store and got some Wheat Thins, a container of bean dip, and a container of hummus. Later, DH and I were talking about which dip was better for you. Interesting enough, the hummus contained HFCS! :/ The bean dip contained no sugar and had more protein. The hummus had better fat content, though, because it's made with olive oil. Anyway, I say all that to say how I would have never guessed HFCS in *that* product! :banghead

OK, I commit to thinking about this more...I'm sure I'll be reading labels all day, now. It's grocery store & Sam's day!

BearyBlessed
03-01-2006, 03:01 PM
I do well with this, except for my sodas. :O I drink one 3-4 times a week. I've tried several times to stop, but it never lasts very long. :/ I already had some today, but maybe I can start tomorrow and try not to have any this month.
I already have eliminated HFCS from all the rest of my food, as far as I know. Maybe I should check through my cupboard and see if there's any HFCS hidden anywhere.

righteous mama
03-01-2006, 06:42 PM
:hunh Why did I read this thread? Sometimes I hate "more knowledge." ;)

:yes

I am so addicted to Coke. It's ridiculous, really. I'm hoping that this Insulin Resistance Diet will help me kick that straight in the booty.

Mothering by Heart
03-01-2006, 06:50 PM
We try to avoid HFCS anyway, but this is going to be SO hard bc the one salad dressing every member of my family loves has it :/

lumpofclay
03-01-2006, 09:39 PM
What I have in the house isn't too bad. I did find it in the new bottle of French dressing DH bought last night, but I can mix up some quick Italian dressing. It is in the crab dip DH bought last night as well. So, anyways, I mixed up some for myself. Then, we went grocery shopping. Apparently, you can't make a cracker without HFCS! :/

thomer
03-02-2006, 04:28 AM
There are lots of natural sodas without HFCS - they are more expensive of course.

Steaz, Izze, Ame, Goose Island (at Aldi), are the only ones I can think of at the moment. I have also heard that you can buy CocaCola made with sugar at some Mexican groceries, but I have not personally found it.

lumpofclay
03-02-2006, 07:47 AM
:( Et tu, ketchup?

BearyBlessed
03-02-2006, 04:50 PM
I know you can get crackers and ketchup without HFCS. You can find them at Trader Joe's or a health food store. They are more expensive, though.

I have tried some of the 'natural' sodas. They really are pretty good. But, I usually drink them when I get a meal at a fast food place. :O SO, that doesn't help. If I don't eat fast food, I don't usually drink sodas. But, that's a whole other can of worms. :rolleyes

cobluegirl
03-02-2006, 09:44 PM
you can always make kombucha tea to replace your soda...hehe.... :-)