PDA

View Full Version : Now I need to learn to discipline myself, being a mommy is so hard sometimes.

kiloyd
02-28-2006, 07:38 PM
I've been thinking that I am the one that needs help sometimes. The times that I struggle with DS, 4 1/2, is when I get stuck on how to help him through. That is when the old ways resurface and my mind thinks more like "how do I make him do this". I guess instead of thinking "how can I help him throught this". I'm so uncreative. I really need to try and do the 5 steps consistently. I just started reading Biblical Parenting, I hope that will help me.

I can't think of an example right now, I'll try and think of one and post later.

I know, on the way home from a 3 1/2 hr trip Sunday, we were all sick of being in the car. DS was mostly fake crying, he had started real crying but then turned into continuing to whiny cry with a couple little laughs. DH says to DS "okay , I'm going to start taking toys away when we get home if you don't stop". I'm thinking to myself, "like toys have anything to do with this current situation". I started to say to DH , what does that have to do with anything ,but DH says "he likes his star wars toys". I think at that point maybe I did get DS distracted with something else , I don't remember. But I didn't want to continue the conversation with DH because I didn't have another alternative to suggest.

What would a logical consequence have been? Now that I type this, i don't think that needed a consequence, I think it just needed a distraction.

I always wonder if I make sense when I type these, I'm tired.

Thanks

kiloyd
02-28-2006, 07:38 PM
I've been thinking that I am the one that needs help sometimes. The times that I struggle with DS, 4 1/2, is when I get stuck on how to help him through. That is when the old ways resurface and my mind thinks more like "how do I make him do this". I guess instead of thinking "how can I help him throught this". I'm so uncreative. I really need to try and do the 5 steps consistently. I just started reading Biblical Parenting, I hope that will help me.

I can't think of an example right now, I'll try and think of one and post later.

I know, on the way home from a 3 1/2 hr trip Sunday, we were all sick of being in the car. DS was mostly fake crying, he had started real crying but then turned into continuing to whiny cry with a couple little laughs. DH says to DS "okay , I'm going to start taking toys away when we get home if you don't stop". I'm thinking to myself, "like toys have anything to do with this current situation". I started to say to DH , what does that have to do with anything ,but DH says "he likes his star wars toys". I think at that point maybe I did get DS distracted with something else , I don't remember. But I didn't want to continue the conversation with DH because I didn't have another alternative to suggest.

What would a logical consequence have been? Now that I type this, i don't think that needed a consequence, I think it just needed a distraction.

I always wonder if I make sense when I type these, I'm tired.

Thanks

UltraMother
02-28-2006, 07:42 PM
:hugheart

I think that growing up and really becoming the mama has been (and is!) much harder than anything else so far! :yes

UltraMother
02-28-2006, 07:42 PM

I think that growing up and really becoming the mama has been (and is!) much harder than anything else so far! :yes

wombmate3
02-28-2006, 08:44 PM

:amen

Nothing in my life prepared me for how hard it was going to be to raise children. :hug2

wombmate3
02-28-2006, 08:44 PM

:amen

Nothing in my life prepared me for how hard it was going to be to raise children. :hug2

mummy2boys
02-28-2006, 10:43 PM
I think that growing up and really becoming the mama has been (and is!) much harder than anything else so far!

Don;t think ANYTHING could be harder than being a mama

mummy2boys
02-28-2006, 10:43 PM
I think that growing up and really becoming the mama has been (and is!) much harder than anything else so far!

Don;t think ANYTHING could be harder than being a mama

MarynMunchkins
03-01-2006, 05:40 AM
:hug That's why GBD is so hard - because it's more about discipling yourself than your children.

In the car, you're stuck. All you really do is reflect feelings ("I'm bored out of my mind and my butt is numb too." :P) and distract. :shrug We're debating a DVD player for the car for days like that.

wombmate3
03-01-2006, 09:27 AM

I didn't get to respond as I wanted to last night.

DH and I, when we switched to GBD, would talk to each other, right in front of the kids, about what we were doing 'wrong'. In our situation, I probably would have turned to DH and actually said "what does taking away his toys have to do with this situation? I know we are all tired and frustrated but let's try something else. Threats are not going to make him stop crying." Then I would have turned to my ds and reflected his feelings of boredom and frustration and suggested something to distract him. If that didn't work, I probably would have ignored him. He is allowed his frustrated/tired/bored/annoyed feelings. Most likely I would have told him that his behavior was annoying everyone else and would he like to sing some songs or count cars until we got home? There isn't a whole lot you can do to 'make' them stop, and I have found ime that engaging in a power struggle when they know darn good and well that there is nothing you can do until you get home and out of the car is completely pointless. I think you are right. He didn't need a consequence, he needed a distraction and a reminder that yelling and screaming in the car is not an appropriate way to express feelings.

kiloyd
03-01-2006, 07:49 PM
:hug That's why GBD is so hard - because it's more about discipling yourself than your children.

Thanks, that's what I've been thinking. There are times when I don't want to be the mommy!

Radosny Matka
03-01-2006, 08:33 PM

Thanks, that's what I've been thinking. There are times when I don't want to be the mommy!

:yes Being a child really is so much simplier. :hug