PDA

View Full Version : Disequilibrium

Allison
02-28-2006, 08:19 AM
According to the "Your Two Old", etc books does the time of disequilibrium come at the beginning of the age or at the half? I can't remember. Drew's difficult times have always been at the half-year time and for some i think his is opposite of what the books say.
Singed,
Looking forward to five, but notsomuch five and a half

Allison
02-28-2006, 08:19 AM
According to the "Your Two Old", etc books does the time of disequilibrium come at the beginning of the age or at the half? I can't remember. Drew's difficult times have always been at the half-year time and for some i think his is opposite of what the books say.
Singed,
Looking forward to five, but notsomuch five and a half

Allison
02-28-2006, 12:27 PM
bump

Allison
02-28-2006, 12:27 PM
bump

Amber
02-28-2006, 05:36 PM
They come at the half year marks from what I remember. My ds is just starting to come out of his :woohoo Of course every child is different and I'm sure there are some who have disequilibrium at the year marks.

Amber
02-28-2006, 05:36 PM
They come at the half year marks from what I remember. My ds is just starting to come out of his :woohoo Of course every child is different and I'm sure there are some who have disequilibrium at the year marks.

wombmate3
02-28-2006, 08:43 PM
I have never heard this term :shrug

What's it mean?

wombmate3
02-28-2006, 08:43 PM

What's it mean?

Sarai
03-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Also wondering..... :popcorn

jujubnme
03-01-2006, 10:31 AM

What's it mean?

I think the concept of disequilibrium is that while children's brains are working on new developmental tasks, the child's emotions are generally more volatile, they are more prone to disagreements, etc. Then when they've accomplished the task they are generally more harmonious and agreeable. The rule of thumb is that the half years are more volatile, but not all kids fit that pattern. My ds has seemed to be most in disequillibrium the couple months surrounding his birthday... :shrug

FlyingBlueKiwi
03-01-2006, 11:19 AM
The period of disequilibrium starts around three months before the half-birthday and continues about three months past the half-birthday (i.e. 15 months to 21 months, 27 months to 33 months, etc.).

The books are available at most libraries, and are by Ames and Ilg. :)

wombmate3
03-01-2006, 03:48 PM
My baby boy just started to walk, and to say that his feelings have been volatile would be a powerful understatment! He has been super intense and hard to handle for anyone but me and Dh for about 2 weeks now. He has really started to calm down today and amazingly, he is now completely walking.

Allison
03-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys! I checked out the book again today but haven't had a chance to even look at it yet! LOL