PDA

View Full Version : How can I help him make better choices?

my3babes
02-27-2006, 08:39 PM
If given a choice my ds will always make the worst decisions. It almost seems like he shouldnt be able to make decisions. He is 6.5 yrs old and makes wonderful choices at school, but at home he can barely think for himself. For example, he knows that if he has to wipe his nose he should go get a kleenex. However he would rather wipe it on the couch. He is told this at least once a day that he is not supposed to do this. We cant remove the couch to make him stop. I have tried giving him kleenexes to keep with him for when he needs it, but he still doesnt use it.

How can I get him to make appropriate choices for situations like this and others?

my3babes
02-27-2006, 08:39 PM
If given a choice my ds will always make the worst decisions. It almost seems like he shouldnt be able to make decisions. He is 6.5 yrs old and makes wonderful choices at school, but at home he can barely think for himself. For example, he knows that if he has to wipe his nose he should go get a kleenex. However he would rather wipe it on the couch. He is told this at least once a day that he is not supposed to do this. We cant remove the couch to make him stop. I have tried giving him kleenexes to keep with him for when he needs it, but he still doesnt use it.

How can I get him to make appropriate choices for situations like this and others?

MarynMunchkins
02-27-2006, 08:51 PM
It works a lot better to offer two positive choices. "You can use a Kleenex or you can use this hankerchief and put it the laundry at the end of the day. Which do you want?"

My dd prefers a hankerchief. She says Kleenex hurts her nose. :shrug

MarynMunchkins
02-27-2006, 08:51 PM
It works a lot better to offer two positive choices. "You can use a Kleenex or you can use this hankerchief and put it the laundry at the end of the day. Which do you want?"

My dd prefers a hankerchief. She says Kleenex hurts her nose. :shrug

AmyDoll
02-27-2006, 09:54 PM
I was thinking a handkerchief might be the way to go too - maybe he can pick them out? I bought some for my dh with his initial on them for really cheap - like less than 5$ or he could use a bandana style one.

If it continued I don't think I would let a booger-wiper sit on my couch. Yuck. Couches are for non-booger-wipers. Booger-wipers have to sit on something slip-covered that I can wash easily - not that I have to scrub.

At least he's not eating it! :giggle

AmyDoll
02-27-2006, 09:54 PM
I was thinking a handkerchief might be the way to go too - maybe he can pick them out? I bought some for my dh with his initial on them for really cheap - like less than 5$ or he could use a bandana style one.

If it continued I don't think I would let a booger-wiper sit on my couch. Yuck. Couches are for non-booger-wipers. Booger-wipers have to sit on something slip-covered that I can wash easily - not that I have to scrub.

At least he's not eating it! :giggle

Joanne
02-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Are there other expamples? Is this a couch/nose issue or are there additional issues where he makes poor choices at home?

For a school aged child, the couch would be off limits *and* cleaned by him.

Joanne
02-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Are there other expamples? Is this a couch/nose issue or are there additional issues where he makes poor choices at home?

For a school aged child, the couch would be off limits *and* cleaned by him.

my3babes
02-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Are there other expamples?

we have had trouble with him refusing to help pick up anything that he gets out "its too big of a mess" is what he tell us.Or he will throw things across the room and say they are picked up.
the biggest problem we have had is him being very aggressive with his sister who is almost 3. we talk with him about ways to tell her that he wants things, wants her to move away from him etc. but he would rather rip things out of her hands, hit her, push her etc. We have talked about that we treat others and things (like the couch and his toys) with respect and when "talking" about it, it sounds like he understands, but when it comes to the actaul "doing" he never choses the right thing to do.

my3babes
02-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Are there other expamples?

we have had trouble with him refusing to help pick up anything that he gets out "its too big of a mess" is what he tell us.Or he will throw things across the room and say they are picked up.
the biggest problem we have had is him being very aggressive with his sister who is almost 3. we talk with him about ways to tell her that he wants things, wants her to move away from him etc. but he would rather rip things out of her hands, hit her, push her etc. We have talked about that we treat others and things (like the couch and his toys) with respect and when "talking" about it, it sounds like he understands, but when it comes to the actaul "doing" he never choses the right thing to do.

my3babes
02-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Oh also I will try the handkerchief and see if that works. He uses kleenex at school and knows what you are supposed to do..but why not at home :banghead

Also another thing we have had trouble with is being a sore loser. When playing games, if he doesnt win or get the highest number, he either throws a fit or tries to cheat to win. His teacher says he isnt like this at school (thanks goodness) and he actually plays very nicely and praises other people when they win...at least part of what we say is sinking in, but not at home.

my3babes
02-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Oh also I will try the handkerchief and see if that works. He uses kleenex at school and knows what you are supposed to do..but why not at home :banghead

Also another thing we have had trouble with is being a sore loser. When playing games, if he doesnt win or get the highest number, he either throws a fit or tries to cheat to win. His teacher says he isnt like this at school (thanks goodness) and he actually plays very nicely and praises other people when they win...at least part of what we say is sinking in, but not at home.