PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made a sling from Jan Andrea's pattern??? I can't get the folds!!!

DogwoodMama
02-27-2006, 11:45 AM
http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/index.html?Baby/index.html

I actually *own* a sling that she made for me, and I can *look* at the folds and how she did them but I just can't figure it out and dh even spent all of lunch trying to help me, but I just can't get it to work!!! :hissyfit I am feeling really dumb and spatially impaired right now. :blush Has anyone made this sling successfully? Any tips or clues that helped you get it right? :scratch

I can get the first 1-2 folds, but then beyond that it is like I can't figure out where I'm folding up from, and I don't get the whole flipping under part. It is just not working for me, I don't understand why. :sad2

When I look at her "step by step" guide, I *think* I'm doing it OK steps 1-3...

Step 1: fold up one edge 3 inches...

Step 2: fold hemmed edge down 1 inch

Step 3: Hold onto folded edge, flip folds under (I *Think* I am doing this right, it looks like her picture...)

Step 4: Fold up again so that 1 inch shows under previous fold (so I'm folding up 3 inches here... *think* it is right...)

Step 5: "Hold onto the new folded edge and flip the folds under. Pin again. " ****I lose it here!***** When I do this, I just have a "stack" of material, not the overlap like her picture shows??? Am I folding in the wrong place???

OKay, beyond that, I just don't get it. HELP! :O

DogwoodMama
02-27-2006, 01:50 PM
I just wanted to say I figured it out! :tu Long explanation in my blog (http://www.xanga.com/BetsyPage/450072982/i-just-have-to-say-.html). :O

Mama Calidad
02-27-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm glad that you figured it out! :tu

cklewis
03-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Oh, crud. . . . I missed this earlier. :doh

I didn't do these folds though. I did the "hot dog" ones, I think she calls them. They seem easier in my head. This one:

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/index.html?Baby/index.html

For silk brocade.

C

mama of two
03-23-2006, 10:33 AM
I never did it that way. I folded the two sides in the meet the center and then folded them again (and maybe a third time if the fabric was really wide). Then I put that through the rings, stiched them down and that was it. It worked really well for me.

MaiMama
06-01-2006, 07:08 PM
I have a hotdog sling & hate it. It hurts my shoulder. I am not sure why the folds would be so difficult, but they scare me, too. You could always just gather it like slingmemommy.com. I think that's what I'm going to do. So I guess I'm no help, except to say that the hotdog dug two indents into my shoulders. But I'm a wimp. :shrug I hope it works for you!!

DogwoodMama
06-01-2006, 07:19 PM
I don't think I'd like the hotdog folds either. That's why I like the accordian-style folds, it really spreads the fabric out so there aren't pressure points. :tu I'm loving my sling- I'd like to make another once I get a chance to get some more fabric!

MaiMama
06-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Oh, I realized you were the one who figured it out. I thought someone else did! Congrats! I'd love to see a picture! How wide did you make it across your shoulder? How far down did you sew the part you pulled through? How does it look without having a serger to bundle the end together? I can't wait to see a pic!