PDA

View Full Version : Just a good update re: Toddler in Church

arwen_tiw
02-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Well you might remember some conversations about the age a toddler can sit through Church and how to minimise the disturbance they can cause when they feel like it :O.... And we were so encouraged to persist and not feel like we were doing something wrong that a barely-one-year-old couldn't *not* run around. Yes, I know, we had such strange ideas of what we could expect her to cope with. :doh

We've carried on keeping her in with us, because we'd rather we both caught half a sermon every week than that I had to miss every single service to take her out. The provision for children at our Church isn't the best, but after talking to our wonderful Vicar about what we wanted to do with her he cleared out part of the vestry for us so that we have somewhere to duck in if she's stomping around a little - and he found us a box of toys that had been packed away somewhere so that there is always a distraction. :tu So... what I was going to tell you...

She will now sit for half of the service, stand (and dance :heart) for songs, and then walk up and down at the back for the rest of the sermon. Quietly! :jawdrop We sometimes still think we must be crazy to try this, in this Church, but we've been greatly encouraged by another AP family with a two year old who has only just started going over to groups with a parent. We're not the odd ones out any more. :shifty

ArmsOfLove
02-26-2006, 11:08 AM
oh how wonderful! And how awesome that the Vicar was willing to help instead of hinder :tu

jujubnme
02-26-2006, 11:10 AM
:highfive So glad it's going well for you!

Radosny Matka
02-26-2006, 07:27 PM
:woohoo :highfive Nathaniel was about 21 months when we were able to make it through all or most of mass. Now Patrick on the other hand...we are lucky if we make it 1/2 way thru.