PDA

View Full Version : Did I handle this okay?

Radosny Matka
02-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Had an issue this morning. Patrick woke up from his nap and both boys were playing together with a toy. Nathaniel (not meaning too) pushed Patrick over. It was in a playful way, just too strong for the baby. Baby started crying. I soothed him and explained to Nathaniel to use gentle touches with the baby, that he couldn't play with him as rough as other kid his age. All was fine. One minute later, Nathaniel hurts baby on purpose this time (perhaps he was testing the limits of what is too strong???). Soothed baby again and told Nathaniel that he needed to find somewhere else to play. He sat there so I helped him move to another toy. When I turned my back, he whacked him with the toy cat in his hand. I took the toy and put it on the t.v., away for the day, and carried Nathaniel to the CC. I hugged him. He started to calm down and asked when he could have his cat back. I said tonight at bedtime (it's his lovey). He said, "then I'm going to hit you again. I replied, "you still sound very angry." Then he punched my leg. :rolleyes I got up and told him to call me when he calmed down and was ready to be respectful. Two minutes went by and he said he wanted kisses. He was still crying. Again I sat down with him. That lasted not even a minute when he again punched me. :banghead Without a word I just got up, planning to leave him there until he got all of his crying out and found me calm. Before he finished calming down he caled to me and said he wanted to nap, which I thought was a wonderful idea. He is now napping. He hasn't napped in weeks. He needs it. So, did I do okay? Is there anything I should have done differently? I think I probably need to work on exactly what is gentle enough for the baby and what is too rough.

arwen
02-25-2006, 12:23 PM
wow, that sounds really great :tu

MarynMunchkins
02-25-2006, 12:28 PM
I think you did awesome! :D

mamaKristin
02-25-2006, 12:32 PM
sounds great to me! now...how to get my DS to understand that naps may help him feel and act better :think

ArmsOfLove
02-26-2006, 01:11 PM
I think you handled it fine each step of the way; how awesome that he identified he was tired and asked for a nap :tu; and I do think that teaching exactly what you mean by gentle is a great idea--he may truly not even understand "gentle" :shifty

Radosny Matka
02-26-2006, 06:29 PM
I think you handled it fine each step of the way; how awesome that he identified he was tired and asked for a nap :tu; and I do think that teaching exactly what you mean by gentle is a great idea--he may truly not even understand "gentle" :shifty

Thanks. Glad to know I did okay. Sometimes I am not sure. I do think he understand gentle. We have used the word "gentle" since he was a baby, and have showed him what it means (think teaching him not to maul one poor helpless orange kitty ;) ).