PDA

View Full Version : Please help, I'm a terrible mom!

Feorsteorra
02-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Ds is standing next to me screaming and grabbing at the mouse and brining the same book over and over wanting me to hold it and watch as he turns the pages. he doesn't even care if i read it or say anything at all, but if I LOOK AWAY for one second, he SCREAMS his head off! I just get sooooooo upset and frustrated. He keeps pinching my arm. I thought he was teething, but he refused to take his Hylands Tabs because I wouldn't let him play with the bottle! I just feel like I'll never be able to discipline gently (or any way for that matter)! Right now I don't want to deal with this kid! I just wish dh would take him and play with him for 15 mins and give me a freaking break!!!! :hissyfit :banghead :cry

Quietspirit
02-25-2006, 11:16 AM
It sounds like he is wanting/needing to connect with you. I know that is what happens if my toddler is feeling unconnected.

Try turning off the computer, picking him up and going to another room and really reading the book/focusing on him for 20 mins or so. I think you'll find that will fill his love tank and allow him to play quietly on your lap/etc later if you want to use the computer.

Hang in there. :hug

MarynMunchkins
02-25-2006, 12:43 PM
:hug He wants some time with his mommy. Give him 15 minutes, and I bet he'll calm down and let you have some time alone. Or at least be less whiny. ;)

Maybe dh will let you go out a little later on your own?

AmyDoll
02-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Awwwww... it does sound like he wants Mommy time. Sometimes Sam and I destress *together* in the "big tub" with lots of bubbles.

Feorsteorra
02-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Thanks for your replies. Dh did take him and play with him for a few mins while I calmed down (I wish he'd just taken him sooner; it was pretty obvious I was upset and needed a breather). Then we all got ready to go over to dh's parents' place for a b-day party. Ds stayed pretty close to me the whole time, since he didn't know all the ppl who were there, and though I was very tired and wanting to sleep, I felt ok emotionally. I'm sorry for my earlier freaking out; I just get so overwhelmed sometimes. :blush

AmyDoll
02-26-2006, 01:36 PM
:hug We all get overwhelmed :hug And I totally know that "I've had ENOUGH" feeling.

Hope today is better

Quietspirit
02-26-2006, 01:38 PM
:hug And you're not a bad mom. Just an overwhelmed one. :hug

Joanne
02-28-2006, 06:40 AM
It may be that he's reached an age and stage of development where a predictable routine would help.

http://joanneaz_2.tripod.com/positivedisciplineresourcecenter/id27.html

Joanne
02-28-2006, 06:40 AM
It may be that he's reached an age and stage of development where a predictable routine would help.

wombmate3
02-28-2006, 09:31 AM
:hug2

we all get overwhelmed! It doesn't make you a bad mom! I am getting out of this house tonight by myself! I have been stuck here with sick kids every day for over a week (then I got sick too!) and I need a BREAK! :D

wombmate3
02-28-2006, 09:31 AM
:hug2

we all get overwhelmed! It doesn't make you a bad mom! I am getting out of this house tonight by myself! I have been stuck here with sick kids every day for over a week (then I got sick too!) and I need a BREAK! :D

Feorsteorra
02-28-2006, 10:54 AM

I think you are right, but ... how do I do a routine? We've never had one. I never had one growing up. I have no clue how to establish a routine, and everytime I think we've got something that might work as a sort of flexable routine, something happens that throws it all out of whack and then we have no routine at all anymore. :shrug

Feorsteorra
02-28-2006, 10:54 AM

I think you are right, but ... how do I do a routine? We've never had one. I never had one growing up. I have no clue how to establish a routine, and everytime I think we've got something that might work as a sort of flexable routine, something happens that throws it all out of whack and then we have no routine at all anymore. :shrug

mamaKristin
02-28-2006, 11:07 AM
It's just setting a regular time to do things. It doesn't have to be set in stone, but just regular ways of doing things.

Here's my example of how things go around here:
8-ish - wake up
8:30 - breakfast
9 - get dressed, teeth brushed
10 - play time. usually free play, or we will build a fort or something
11 - we usually do a craft or go out
noon - lunch
1 - nap/quiet time
3 - play time, free play. if it's not too cold (which it is now :shiver) we go for a walk and play outside
4-ish - snack time
5 - dad takes kids for play time
6 - dinner
7 - bath time, snack and stories
8 - bed time.

It's flexible, but routine. Things follow a simple routine. Sometimes things get all thrown off, if we have a day where we go out. Then we just get back to normal the next day. Hope that helps a bit, to give you a picture of what a routine could look like.

mamaKristin
02-28-2006, 11:07 AM
It's just setting a regular time to do things. It doesn't have to be set in stone, but just regular ways of doing things.

Here's my example of how things go around here:
8-ish - wake up
8:30 - breakfast
9 - get dressed, teeth brushed
10 - play time. usually free play, or we will build a fort or something
11 - we usually do a craft or go out
noon - lunch
1 - nap/quiet time
3 - play time, free play. if it's not too cold (which it is now :shiver) we go for a walk and play outside
4-ish - snack time
5 - dad takes kids for play time
6 - dinner
7 - bath time, snack and stories
8 - bed time.

It's flexible, but routine. Things follow a simple routine. Sometimes things get all thrown off, if we have a day where we go out. Then we just get back to normal the next day. Hope that helps a bit, to give you a picture of what a routine could look like.