PDA

View Full Version : Aggression in toddler boy

Marmee
02-24-2006, 04:35 PM
My 31 month old son has been a bit on the aggresive side lately. (Okay, a lot on the aggresive side.) I don't really know why? :shrug
He is in a sort of "transitional" phase. He has recently weaned himself (almost completely - very occasionally asks). His health has improved (he has celiac disease and has recently experienced a growth spurt). He started speech about two months ago (only 2x per month), but it is really helping him. He just seems to get frustrated when he can't make us understand what he wants. He has become more emotional, more sensitive lately (cries if you correct him, runs and hides or hides his face). He likes to play with a plastic knight set. He loves the helmet and the plastic sword. Sometimes my DH, my DD, or myself will "pretend sword-fight" with him. This is probably his favorite game. Lately he has taken to attacking with the sword unprovoked, even after repeated lessons on asking first if we want to play that game. He runs at us and throws himself on us grabbing at hair and jumping on us. It is clear when he does this (for the most part) that he just wants us to play. He loves to rough house. We try to play with him in that way when we can. But how do you make him understand that there is play and then there is being mean and hurtful? He sometimes hurts his 6 yr. old sister playing too rough. When we say to him, "Look, your sister is crying. That is too rough, you need to be gentle, please." That is when he runs and hides. He never wants to say sorry or ask for forgiveness. He is a very loving child most of the time. He asks if we are alright if someone gets hurt - except when he does the hurting. Then he seems to clam up and not care? My husband wants him to be able to "be a boy", as he was never allowed that growing up. But, quite obviously, he wants him to be careful of his sister and mother (and anyone else) even when he is playing a wilder game. I feel like he is struggling with a new phase in his life. "How do I relate to Mommy, now that I am not having "la-la" to stay connected?" How am I different than my sister? (She plays endlessly with dolls and is very "girly". He will play with her with dolls and loves the kitchen set. He also like to rough house - and so does she. They play Narnia a lot. She has read the books - he just plays along!) I just don't understand how such a compassionate child has gotten so rough and won't acknowledge when he hurts someone. Maybe I am expecting too much of him? I don't want to take away his fun with the wrestling with Daddy on the floor and playing with the knight costumes and sword. I would just like to help him learn when is an appropriate time to stop the make believe or tone it down. Does anyone else have boys who do this? Sometimes he seems to "attack" for attention (if I am busy, etc.) He also throws toys at his sister or hits her with things if he doesn't get his way. I guess there are two issues here - aggression in play and aggression when something doesn't go his way. He doesn't seem to be able to control it in either situation.

jujubnme
02-25-2006, 09:31 AM
:hug I think you have a lot of your answers already in your post. It sounds like your ds is learning about using his energy, which takes a lot of pushing the boundaries and making a lot of mistakes as he learns what is appropriate and what is not. I also find that the transition between physical toddler expression to more verbal expression is something that just takes a lot of practice. It seems that even when language is starting to explode, they aren't really able to use it to express intense feelings till much later. Keep gently correcting, helping him use his words, provide plenty of opportunities for physical exercise... I think it's just a matter of guiding him through this stage, and as he matures, he will be able to better moderate that aggression. I also think that his hiding when he realizes he's gone over the line is pretty normal for his age... I'd be interested in hearing other mom's ideas on encouraging making amends. That's always been difficult for my ds too.

Marmee
02-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I realized when I went back and read my own post that I had answered some of my own questions! Maybe I just need to write things out to think it through! I am hoping maybe his speech lessons will help as he really does seem frustrated about communicating at times. Ironically, I am the one who didn't really want to consider speech at first! He seemed so young to start something like that. Now, I am glad that I did hear my pediatrician out on that issue. Sometimes it is hard to admit your son has a problem. As in, "What do you mean there is something wrong with him?! He is my son and he is perfect as is!!!!" :giggle We also had a stomach bug this week and I didn't feel like, "getting up off my bottom" to re-direct. Apparantly he took full advantage. Guess I will have to be more vigilant this week.

ArmsOfLove
02-26-2006, 01:16 PM
he definately has some boy energy going :tu Rather than trying to get rid of it, try thinking of ways to refocus it. Wrestling with daddy, lots of outdoor physical activity, a bopper bag to punch safely, etc. And work on adding in some quiet/calming activities that he will enjoy. My toddler guy loved singing and dancing (physical, but calm :) ). This is really normal :)

TulipMama
02-26-2006, 06:42 PM
As part of helping my boys understand boundaries with playing rough, I've taught them "Girls are princesses, and you need to be gentle with them." Appeals to the knights and dragons and Narnia side of their imagination!

Now, I know your son has an older sister (and my boys have girl friends) who like to wrestle and play physically. And that's okay! We started out with "Girls are princesses--be gentle with princesses." (Don't tackle, don't hit, etc, etc.) And transitioned to, "Girls are princesses--you need to ask before you wrestle."

Now--I know that we want our active boys to be thoughtful of *all* children and not just girls, but this was a good starting place for helping our sons recognize, understand, and observe boundaries in active play.