PDA

View Full Version : The drama

haak
02-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Another 3 yo question. Is it normal to wonder if she is bipolar? I am just kidding - although not trying to make light of a serious situation- but one minute she is happy and the next little tiny thing goes wrong and she is throwing herself on the floor and sobbing her little heart out. What is the best way to deal with this and is it age-appropriate. (I have been reading Your Three Year Old but find it difficult because it seems all the suggestions are to get a babysitter- the child will do better and so will the mom)

Marsha
02-24-2006, 08:23 AM
Well, I think the book is correct. My daugher does respond better to others. Unfortunately she is stuck with me LOL. I know what you mean. Since bipolar runs int he family, I try not to even joke about it. But yes, ups and downs here too. And LOTS of intensity.

LauraK
02-24-2006, 10:20 AM
It is age appropriate.

I reflect feelings and try to model appropriate ways of expressing feelings if her expression is not so nice. I also will at times just go about my business and our plans despite her big feelings. I acknowledge them and then move on. "I understand you are sad that we have to leave and you want to stay home". "We need to leave, you need to get your shoes on", "do you need my help getting your shoes on?", continue with 5 steps...

cuddle corner can be good as well. Mostly my lap is the cuddle corner.

Joanne
02-28-2006, 06:53 AM
What is the best way to deal with this and is it age-appropriate.

Allow the feelings, impose limits on the expression of them.

My kids can be excited, animated, and full of happiness. They may not destruct furniture, hurt people or create loud chaos that bothers others.

My kids can be sad, tormented, weepy. They may not cry louder so that others have to give up their content.

It's age appropriate for 3 year olds to explore the range of emotion and to have that fluctuate frequently. I suggest considering if you are too tied to it. In other words, are you taking too much responsibility for both her happiness and her dismay?

Joanne
02-28-2006, 06:53 AM
What is the best way to deal with this and is it age-appropriate.

Allow the feelings, impose limits on the expression of them.

My kids can be excited, animated, and full of happiness. They may not destruct furniture, hurt people or create loud chaos that bothers others.

My kids can be sad, tormented, weepy. They may not cry louder so that others have to give up their content.

It's age appropriate for 3 year olds to explore the range of emotion and to have that fluctuate frequently. I suggest considering if you are too tied to it. In other words, are you taking too much responsibility for both her happiness and her dismay?