PDA

View Full Version : Danger Discipline!!

luvinmykidz
02-22-2006, 06:08 PM
How do I get my 3 year old to understand DANGER??? I was at a parent group today and I had Isabelle on the floor, I was changing her diaper. Richard decided he didn't want to wait for me and he darted out the back door. He ran down the sidewalk of a VERY BUSY street and around the corner to the parking lot where I parked the car. Lucky for me the lady who was running my parent group went after him and caught him before he got hurt. We were both so scared that he was going to dart out onto the busy street!! When I yell stop, DANGER he laughs and runs even farther!! My husband and I don't know what to do!! I was so scared today, thank Goodness that Jesus was watching over him and he stayed safe!!! How do I teach him NOT to run when I yell DANGER OR STOP?? We have tried playing GO GO STOP at home, we have made play red lights and green lights to play with. We have tried role playing at home.....when we are in the house playing him he seems to get it but when we are in a dangerous situation he just laughs and BOLTS!!! :mad How do I figure out how to get him to understand that this is not a game and he is in real danger???? We live on the highway so this is something that we need to get through to him very very much!! Any suggestions?? BTW he will be 4 in July.

RealLifeMama
02-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Wow that would be scary! I am glad he is OK.
I really don't know, as that has never happened here. :phew because I am such a hover mother and always expect the worst!! I have kept my children so close to me in parking lots, on sidewalks, crossing the street that my children are so terrified of cars I have to convince them it is safe to cross when a car is parked, and DS insists on being carried on blacktop paved walking paths! :O
There must be a happy medium somewhere!

Seriously, though, at that age, I would think you can just discuss it at a neutral time. Tell him how scared you were, etc. and why,
Maybe do the trick with a melon or doll in the street and watch a truck barrel over it.

I would make sure from now on that he has a task when you are diapering next time! I bet it will never happen again because from now on, you will be reminding him to stay right with you and not go anywhere!!

Irene
02-22-2006, 06:40 PM
my dd was like that. We did all the games, we we firm, we were playful, we did code words, calm voices, panicked voices... she would actually run harder and faster laughing all the way. She still does it at time, especially during stressful times.

The one and only thing I found is like Amy said, to be right on top of her. Change the diaper in the bathroom with all of you in there, sit him down next to you and give him a toy, if he so much as moves, grab him. (not rough, just making sure he doesnt make a quick escape). I basically make sure she is holding my hand the whole time.

We have installed a chain lock up high and we had an alarm thingy we were going to install, but she magically grew out of it when we bought it :doh :)

We also go through the rules before we get out of the car, every single time. we remind her to stay with us, shes not "allowed" to open doors by herself etc. Shes doing much better, and I thought I would be chasing her till college :shifty

ArmsOfLove
02-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Unfortunately you can't *get* him to understand, you can only keep him safe until he does. You really have to prevent him having access to dangerous situations--whether that means you strap him into a stroller while you do diapers when you're out ;) or whatever creative ideas you can come up with. I had a runner. What finally made it click for him was using a wrist harness that I explained was to teach him how far away from me he could be and still be safe :)

butterflymommy
02-22-2006, 08:21 PM
I love my umbrella stroller for keeping the young ones close by when I may not be able to hold their hand, like diaper changes or shopping. You put him in the stroller and strap him in, go to the bathroom, change the babies diaper, then all go out together (you can take him out if you know you can keep him by his hand).

Joanne
02-28-2006, 06:58 AM
I have a page on my site aboud safety and discipline:

http://joanneaz_2.tripod.com/positivedisciplineresourcecenter/id33.html

Joanne
02-28-2006, 06:58 AM
I have a page on my site aboud safety and discipline:

http://joanneaz_2.tripod.com/positivedisciplineresourcecenter/id33.html