PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Things...

butterflymommy
02-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi,
Who here LOVES the movie, Sound of Music like I do? :) I grew up loving Maria and knew I wanted to be just like her. Have you seen how she connects with the children? She came into a home of seven children who were very, very naughty. Afterall, they scared off a dozen other governesses. they were also very controlled and very disciplined. Yet,t heir hearts were not won. they were sad and very rebellious. The first thing Maria did, was to respect them. NO using demeaning whistles. Then, she wanted to *know* who they were as individuals. The littlest one, Grettle, fell in love after Maria told her she was a lady. Such a small compliment, but HUGE to a little girl that wants to be seen. Then, Maria wanted to know what they needed from a Governess. She cared about their needs first. She realized that she didn't know everything, and was actually quite scared. Despite being given a frog in her pocket and poor advice, she smiled and believed in the best. That first night at dinner, she could have told on them and got them punished for their bad behavior. Instead, she turned the table and loved them and protected their dignity and took all the blame for their bad behavior. The children all wept. They experienced grace for the first time and were overwhelmed by it.

Of course, the children fell in love with her! We all know how Maria spent time with them. She made special clothes for them, she took them to places they would enjoy, she spoke with them, she protected their autominity, she held their attention, she cared for their fears, she played with them, and she taught them how to serve others and to SING!

ahhhh....

Radosny Matka
02-22-2006, 08:42 PM
:yes :heart

Singingmom
02-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Very nicely put :) I've always loved the movie too, and the way she interacted with the children. Inspiring! :heart

LauraK
02-22-2006, 09:05 PM
This movie is a family favorite. My dd who is 3 LOVEs it. She can sing the whole do re mi song and my dh got the soundtrack for his i-pod so we are always dancing around the house listening to it.

I do think her connection with the kids is inspiring and I think you see in the movie the whole myth of husband and wife relationship is the most important. Part of why he loved her was because of how she loved his children and inspired him to really love them too. I also love this movie because it is "clean" and has good values.

TulipMama
02-22-2006, 10:32 PM
That was an inspiring reminder. :heart

mom2threePKs
02-24-2006, 06:49 AM
I love your description!!! Thanks for sharing that!!!!!

Magan