PDA

View Full Version : Do you HAVE to refrigerate natural peanut butter?

2sunshines
02-21-2006, 10:49 AM
We prefer our natural peanut butter at room temp. It's smoother, and much easier to spread. If I refigerate it, I have to pull it out a couple of hours before I want to use it until it's at the consistency we like.

So, if I prefer it at room temp, is there any reason that I just can't keep it out at room temp? It just says "refrigerate after opening to retard oil separation." If I don't mind what it does at room temp, is there any reason to not keep it at room temp? Will it go bad (since there are no preservatives)?

canadiyank
02-21-2006, 10:54 AM
I suppose it depends on how quickly you use it. It will go rancid since there's no preservatives (I've had that happen to regular oil before and also some natural body care products and it is NASTY). Have you tried storing it upsidedown in the fridge? That's what we do...then there's no layer of oil on the top and it does seem easier to spread straight from the fridge.

Iarwain
02-21-2006, 11:00 AM
No. The refrigeration is to keep it from separating. I never refrigerate mine 'cause it's too hard to spread cold. I buy in bulk and have sometimes stored it at room temp up to a couple months. I haven't ever noticed any rancidity or spoilage.

Chris3jam
02-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Hmmm. Yes, real peanut butter needs to be refrigerated. It will turn rancid, because of the oil (it has turned rancid on me before). Now, if it's been irradiated or pasteurized, it won't be raw, then and it won't need to be refrigerated. I've not had a problem spreading it, even out of the fridge. I just stir up the oil into it really well, and put it in there. It stays pretty well incorporated, and spreads easily. :shrug

2sunshines
02-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Oil goes rancid? I keep all my oil (olive oil, vegetable oil, etc) in the cupboard and it's never had a problem. So would natural pb go rancid at about that same rate?

Chris3jam
02-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Vegetable oil has been processed. . .it will take a while to go rancid. Olive oil is more stable, and doesn't include any of the meat of the fruit. . but I still like to refrigerate it if I won't go through it very fast, especially if it is cold-pressed. Natural pb is a bean (legume) that has been ground. . .it will go 'bad' much faster, especially since the 'meat' is still there. Peanut oil (for frying), again, has been processed, so it should stay good in the cupboard.

cobluegirl
02-21-2006, 09:23 PM
I think it depends on how quickly you eat it and perhaps how hot your kitchen is.

Irene
02-21-2006, 09:27 PM
how interesting. I have never had a problem spreading mine, its always nice and smooth, right out of the fridge :shrug when we get a new jar, Dh will open it take it all out and mix it in the mixer to stir the oil in, then put it back in the jar. Would that make a difference? our oil never seperates once we stir it up.

Chris3jam
02-21-2006, 09:29 PM
how interesting. I have never had a problem spreading mine, its always nice and smooth, right out of the fridge when we get a new jar, Dh will open it take it all out and mix it in the mixer to stir the oil in, then put it back in the jar. Would that make a difference? our oil never seperates once we stir it up.
Yep. See, that's what happens here. Take it out of the cupboard, stir itup really good, and it stays that way. :shrug

cobluegirl
02-21-2006, 09:35 PM
I can't ever get mine all the way mixed in....

milkmommy
02-21-2006, 09:53 PM
We refridregrate about everythig here its to hot things go bad fast :/. Storing our PB upside down really helps and keeps it spreadable but its deffiently never easy to spread.. What brands are you all using?

Deanna

Iarwain
02-22-2006, 08:50 AM
We usually use East Wind in the five pound plastic bucket but occasionally get Smuckers from the store when we run out but I don't care for it. We also have a HFS near here that grinds their own fresh so I buy that occasionally too. When I get up to Costco I'll buy Maranatha because the price is good and it's organic but I don't like it as well.

If you are having trouble stirring it up next time you buy it get a couple extra jars and put them upside down (unopened) in the cabinet for a week or so. That gives the oil enough time to fully migrate to the bottom of the jar and it's easier to stir the oil up from the bottom than it is to stir it down from the top. If you prefer to take it out of the jar to stir it's easier to get out with the oil on the bottom as well. Just keep buying a jar ahead so the next jar is always ready to stir.

The thing with the kitchen temp is probably right. Our pantry is pretty cool in the winter and in the summer our peanut butter never lasts more than about three weeks tops 'cause the kids love their PB&J's. Maybe that's why it's never gone bad on us.