PDA

View Full Version : Can I make this? wool and hemp pant?

brown eyed girl
02-18-2006, 10:02 PM
I want something like the KISS pant at the EC store, or the Trickle Free trainer by MOE/fuzzibuns.... but I'd like to make it with a soft hemp fleece on the inside. I'd like it to be water resistant on the outside, but natural fiber-- I'd rather not use PUL or fleece, but I'd rather use wool.

Can I make something that is wool on the outside and hemp on the inside? How would it wash and wear?

Or do I just need to make hemp pants and then a wool soaker pant to cover it? And just plan on two layers.

fancifulfrog
02-19-2006, 10:48 PM
I would personally make them as seperates. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the cleansing issues. Hemp needs heat to really keep it clean. Wool will shrink in heat. This is only an opinion mind you so you may get other suggestions contrary to this. HTH

WildOlive
02-20-2006, 05:07 AM
You could make it so they snap together, and you can just separate them for washing. Otherwise I can't see how you could wash them without ruining the wool.

fancifulfrog
02-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Hey just thought of this.....If the wool is felted it may not shrink and you could make it one solid piece. I could only see it working that way. Again HTH

LauraK
03-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Since it is a training pant I would probably want to just make the hemp training pant and then use a pull on wool short like cover.

I was looking at my snap-ez trainer and thinking how I could make something similar out of a prefold diaper. It looked pretty easy. I have no snap press but maybe I could just use those little metal snaps you get from the fabric store or something?? Then again I have no sewing maching either...but I was hoping to remedy that situation... :D

fancifulfrog
03-10-2006, 10:49 PM
A great snap replacement would be snap tape. I love the stuff.

LauraK
03-11-2006, 07:53 AM
thats a good idea! They only would be needed in case of a poop accident anyway.

brown eyed girl
03-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Well I haven't gotten very far teaching myself to knit, but my MIL knits well and so does my Grandmother. My MIL has said she will come visit in late April or early May, and stay with me a week and sew and knit with me. I told her knitting was more important than sewing and in fact, I'd try to get all the sewing done before she gets here so she'll be ready to focus on knitting. I found some knit soaker patterns-- longies and shorties. I also want to try the knit pattern for a mamaponcho for babywearing. Our winter would be about right for just a poncho.

So I'll stick to wool shorties and longies... I hate the idea of having to pull down TWO things to potty the baby, it seems like extra work. :rolleyes But really I would only be using the wool on days when baby needed to be dressed anyway, like out in public. At home I tend to just leave them in a plain old diaper or nakey. :)

Now I have to find some money in my budget to buy some hemp jersey or sherpa or something... last time I made my diapers with just cotton fabric, flannel inside and terry soakers. They worked OK and I'll reuse most of them. But I'd like to try hemp this time.

What cracks me up is why we think we need to get new diapers for each baby. I'll give away or sell (depending on the condition) all my cloth diapers after a baby is potty trained, and then make all new ones for the new baby. Isn't that crazy? I'm insane, I know... I'm cloth diaper addicted. LOL

Mandypr
03-25-2006, 08:55 PM
. I have no snap press but maybe I could just use those little metal snaps you get from the fabric store or something?? Then again I have no sewing maching either...but I was hoping to remedy that situation... :D
The snaps at the store arn't that great for lasting. And they are so fragle. You can buy snaps that you hammer together. Like rivets. But they're snaps. I would see if the fabric store can order them in if they don't have them. Hancock fabrics has a great supply of notations so I would try them first.

LauraK
03-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the info on the snaps. I found a place that has a snap service so I might use them. They charge on 10 cents a snap plus actual shipping, so that might be a way to go. First I am just going to try to use hook and loop.

brown eyed girl
03-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Be very careful about hook and loop tape. My first set of diapers I made with hook and loop tape I bought at the fabric store. It all had to be replaced, it didn't last very long at all. Actually right now most of those dipes are sitting in a pile, waiting for me to either buy the *good* Aplix hook and loop that is available at diaper-dot-coms (If I can find the one my friend recommended, i can't remember what it was called) or get snaps put on... or something... I dunno... I still want to make new ones. ;)

LauraK
03-28-2006, 08:21 AM
thanks for the warning. I'll order some aplix or do the snaps.