PDA

View Full Version : Can a baby have too much "healthy fats"?

kmcmomof3
02-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Feel free to move this. I wasn't sure if this more of a nutrition question or a baby question.

Because I don't have a full milk supply, I give my 10.5 month old extra calories in the form of nutrient dense solids like avocado, and Yobaby Yogurt. She gets some avocado almost daily - maybe an ounce or so (I don't really weigh it), and half a container of Yobaby yogurt - not necessarily in the same meal though. She also gets some other solids - like pureed meats and other veggies (like sweet potato and others). But my sister said, "oh you shouldn't give her so much avocado, a high fat diet can cause gout".

Is this something I need to worry about? She is gaining well now and she does really like the avocado and the Yogurt. Can eat it in small chunks without having to mix it into baby cereal. She seems awfully pudgy now and I really don't have to worry so much about her weight anymore.

Do you think I should ease up on the avocado. She'd get it once a day usually. Unfortunately, when I buy them, I have to buy 4 at a time, as they come in a bag that way. I need to use them up before they go bad, and that doesn't take too long. Is half a container of Yobaby too much? She really likes it a lot.

What do you think?

cobluegirl
02-17-2006, 04:40 PM
I think avacado is good for her..I personally wouldn't worry about it unless you see something that is questionable...

inesperada
02-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I don't think you have anything to worry about. :) I don't think babies can have too much healthy fat, just too much junk fat. :)

Amber
02-18-2006, 12:01 AM
I don't think it is a problem. I used to give my ds avocado every day...but now he doesn't eat green things :shrug go figure. By the way, avocado freezes really well. I would buy 3 or 4 at a time, mash them up and freeze them in ice cube trays it worked really well and I didn't have to worry about it spoiling.

cobluegirl
02-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Here is a post off of MDC about fats..thought I would share. good info. All about dietary fats and eczema, including milk discussion:

The Miracle Fat for Eczema--GLA
http://www.mercola.com/2003/may/28/eczema.htm

Also, I wonder if our success in treating eczema was also the reduction of vegetable fats with omega 6's

Quote:
Too much omega-6 in the diet "uses up" the delta-6 desaturase enzymes needed for the omega-3 pathway
http://www.price-pottenger.org/Arti...ostaglandin.htm

Omega 6's the main component of vegetable oils -- the current fad in supposedly healthy diets. (Canola, safflower, soy, corn oils are not healthy for this reason and others). When a large part of the diet of is fats from omega 6's it causes a deficiency in other fatty acids.

Fats are one of the components of breastmilk that is directly related to the mother's diet, for example if you eat trans fatty acids, the show up in your BM and also compete with omega 3's.

Learn more about fats here:
Know Your Fats
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/index.html

kmcmomof3
02-22-2006, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the help girls.