PDA

View Full Version : CC--practical examples

LittleSweetPeas
02-15-2006, 07:10 PM
I am still struggling with CC. I read the other new thread on it and someone gave an example of how they used it that day. I would like to see more of these (I'm a totally "visual" learner) so that I can have a better understanding of the CC as a daily tool.

AngelBee
02-16-2006, 01:31 PM
:popcorn

MarynMunchkins
02-16-2006, 02:23 PM
We don't have an "official" CC since my kids broke the rocking chair that was there. :giggle We use the couch or their rooms as a quiet place to calm down.

Today, Colin was in Ana's room (with permission), and knocked over some of her dollhouse furniture. She started screaming at him and trying to smack him. So I picked Colin up, moved him away and told him to find his train until Ana was calm. Then I scooped Ana into my arms (bear hug) and said firmly, "You're out of control. Do you want to stay in your room to calm down with the door open or closed?"

She picked open, and I walked out. She came out a few minutes later and said, "I'm sorry I tried to hit you Colin, but I was just so ANGRY that you wrecked my dollhouse."

:)

LittleSweetPeas
02-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Thank you for sharing.

So, I still am not understanding. In the example thats given they are sent to their room/CC to calm down. I use my TOs in the same way. So in my situation I would say, "DD hands are not for hitting. Please go to your room on TO until you are able to control your hands." Or, "DD you will have a TO if you hit your sister again since you cannot control your hands. Our hands are for hugging." I guess I am not seeing a huge difference just that I call it TO and others refer to it as a CC. I mean I suppose I could put a more "postive" spin on the lingo I am using but the idea is the same. She does an undesired action, I remove her from the situation until she can regain control, she returns to the environment. I really am not seeing a difference. Sometimes I call it a TO, sometimes we call it a break but its all the same idea.

Perhaps we're doing the same thing just using different terms? :scratch I'm really confused. :)

MarynMunchkins
02-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Whatever terms works for you. ;) If the goal is to help her calm down and not to make her feel bad for what she did, it's all good. :tu

LittleSweetPeas
02-17-2006, 02:07 PM
No, the idea is for her to regain control and/or remove her from an uncontrollable situation. I do consider times when she is choosing not to listen to my directions to be one of those times and I dont know if thats a punitivev mindset but I would generally tell her that since she is choosing to not listen to me and is not doing ____ then she needs to take a break until she is ready to come out and do ____.