PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins/suppliments to help with second hand smoke

Linnis
02-12-2006, 11:26 PM
I watch my nephew full time, his Dad and live-in Fiancee are smokers(1.5 packs a day each). I made it a condition of me watching my nephew that smoking doesn't happen while I'm there but I still notice feeling sick, stuffed up, basically unwell while in their apartment. I empty the ashtrays, open the windows to air it out but I assume the sofa, carpets etc are soaked in smoke. :sick

I began taking Vitamin C(extra to my regular multi-vitamin and extra folic acid and calcium) at the recommendation of my OBGYN and it has helpped but today I came home and felt terrible, Took me two hours to begin feeling better after leaving. Google didn't help much so I was wondering if anyone knew any other vitamins and or suppliments that I can take in addition to what I am taking. I'm TTC so that may have to be taken into consideration.

Thanks a lot

Chris3jam
02-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Vitamin D, E, and A could be helpful, along with the C. That second-hand smoke sure is a bummer! It would be nice (and beneficial for their kid!) if they would at least try to quit!

Linnis
02-13-2006, 12:20 PM
They won't quit.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

blessedMom
02-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Try the homeopathic remedy Ignatia Amara, which is supposed to help with aversion to smoke. I've only used it once or twice and I think it helped. But I couldn't stay in a smoker's home for an hour, let alone more.

Is there any way you could watch your nephew at your home? or somewhere else that has less smoke? It would be beneficial for your nephew to be out of the smoke at times, too.

HTH :hug2

Linnis
02-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Actually he's at my home or at church with me or whatever almost all of the time, we go to his Dad's place to get his bath and bed, then I stay until his Dad comes home. It's complicated but we've agreed to meet half way & since the idea of quitting or smoking outside won't even be considered this is half way.

Thank you for the suggestions.

PurpleButterfly
02-13-2006, 10:58 PM
:( I would make his father come get him at your home after bath and bed, rather than subject your unborn baby to the toxicity in that apartment. How selfish of that little boy's caretakers. :bheart I'm sorry you're having to deal with that, and am praying for them to wake up and do the right thing. :hugheart :pray

Linnis
02-13-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm not pregnant yet but when I do, my job will change because I agree with you I won't put up with second hand smoke for my unborn child.

Aerynne
02-13-2006, 11:32 PM
I would put my foot down about watching him in a place with smoke, but if you don't want to do that, then I'd take any and all anti-oxidants- vitamin C, E, and selenium would be especially important.

Linnis
02-14-2006, 11:29 AM
Believe me if I could I would, thanks for the suggestions.