PDA

View Full Version : Tattling

Charlie U
02-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Rebecca, who is nearly 5, is a tattler. Every 10 minutes, she's "telling on" Rachel.

"Moooooooooooooom, Rachel is climbing on the chair!" "Moooooooooooom Rachel looked at me!" "Mooooooooooooooom the dog isn't on her rug!" "Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!!!" :hissyfit

Everything is an affront to this child that must be told about.

My standard answer is "you take care of Rebecca and I will take care of Rachel (the dog, whatever)." It's not very effective. And I want her to come to me when something major is wrong.

How can I curb her urge to tell on everyone?

Charlie U
02-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Rebecca, who is nearly 5, is a tattler. Every 10 minutes, she's "telling on" Rachel.

"Moooooooooooooom, Rachel is climbing on the chair!" "Moooooooooooom Rachel looked at me!" "Mooooooooooooooom the dog isn't on her rug!" "Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!!!" :hissyfit

Everything is an affront to this child that must be told about.

My standard answer is "you take care of Rebecca and I will take care of Rachel (the dog, whatever)." It's not very effective. And I want her to come to me when something major is wrong.

How can I curb her urge to tell on everyone?

MarynMunchkins
02-11-2006, 04:44 PM
If it's something one does to another, my standard response is "Did you like it?"

("Mom...she's in my room!" "Do you like it?")

If not ;), I have them tell the person and ask/tell them to stop.

If they're trying to get someone else in trouble, I'll just ask what there name is and act shocked that it isn't Mommy. :giggle

(What's your name? Oh, it's not mom?! I guess you'd better let me handle that. ;) )

MarynMunchkins
02-11-2006, 04:44 PM
If it's something one does to another, my standard response is "Did you like it?"

("Mom...she's in my room!" "Do you like it?")

If not ;), I have them tell the person and ask/tell them to stop.

If they're trying to get someone else in trouble, I'll just ask what there name is and act shocked that it isn't Mommy. :giggle

(What's your name? Oh, it's not mom?! I guess you'd better let me handle that. ;) )

ArmsOfLove
02-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Well, the first thing I do is thank my little tattler for telling me the truth and then assure them I will take care of it--either by addressing it or ignoring it :grin

If it's conflict related then I have an order of how to deal with it:

Use your words.
If you come to me and haven't used your words I will send you back to use your words.
If you use your words and the other person won't respect them then I will step in and back you up.
If both people are "wrong" then I sit everyone down and we take turns talking and then problem solve.

hth

ArmsOfLove
02-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Well, the first thing I do is thank my little tattler for telling me the truth and then assure them I will take care of it--either by addressing it or ignoring it :grin

If it's conflict related then I have an order of how to deal with it:

Use your words.
If you come to me and haven't used your words I will send you back to use your words.
If you use your words and the other person won't respect them then I will step in and back you up.
If both people are "wrong" then I sit everyone down and we take turns talking and then problem solve.

hth