PDA

View Full Version : Cysts...higher risk of cancer????

slingmamaof4
02-10-2006, 07:40 AM
I was at a hs'ing activity with my kids yesterday and one of the moms has had to have a double mastectomy (one was just removed a week or two ago; the other before I began being involved in the hs'ing group in November...so I don't know when she had the 1st). And in a few months she is having a hysterectomy. She doesn't have ovarian or uterine cancer, but they told her she is at higher risk because she has cysts on her uterus and her ovaries. I didn't say anything then, but that :hunh me. I think it is the cysts in addition to the breast cancer that makes her high risk. Aren't cysts fairly normal???? I was slightly concerned when she said the cysts=higher chance of cancer because my ob says I have cysts on my ovaries, uterus, and even my cervix. But she said it wasn't anything to be concerned about. So anyone know something about all this????

slingmamaof4
02-10-2006, 07:40 AM
I was at a hs'ing activity with my kids yesterday and one of the moms has had to have a double mastectomy (one was just removed a week or two ago; the other before I began being involved in the hs'ing group in November...so I don't know when she had the 1st). And in a few months she is having a hysterectomy. She doesn't have ovarian or uterine cancer, but they told her she is at higher risk because she has cysts on her uterus and her ovaries. I didn't say anything then, but that :hunh me. I think it is the cysts in addition to the breast cancer that makes her high risk. Aren't cysts fairly normal???? I was slightly concerned when she said the cysts=higher chance of cancer because my ob says I have cysts on my ovaries, uterus, and even my cervix. But she said it wasn't anything to be concerned about. So anyone know something about all this????

RealLifeMama
02-10-2006, 08:17 AM
:popcorn

RealLifeMama
02-10-2006, 08:17 AM
:popcorn

Wonder Woman
02-10-2006, 08:23 AM
my understanding is that the cysts wreak havoc with hormone levels, and some cysts/tumors are estrogen secreting. And some breast cancer is triggered by/spreads faster with increased estrogen levels.

That's what I've been told, anyway :shrug

I also know that we PCOS mamas are at increased risk for 'female' cancers.

Women with PCOS who never achieve a pgcy or don't carry one to term are at *greatly* increased risk. :(

Wonder Woman
02-10-2006, 08:23 AM
my understanding is that the cysts wreak havoc with hormone levels, and some cysts/tumors are estrogen secreting. And some breast cancer is triggered by/spreads faster with increased estrogen levels.

That's what I've been told, anyway :shrug

I also know that we PCOS mamas are at increased risk for 'female' cancers.

Women with PCOS who never achieve a pgcy or don't carry one to term are at *greatly* increased risk. :(

slingmamaof4
02-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Yeah, as you know Rebecca my hormone levels are kind of weird. For those of you who don't know. I only had three AF in 14 months before getting pg with Belle. And all of them were just spotting...literally just a few drops a day for a couple days. :shrug But then we got pregnant even though we were preventing. If I am on a stronger bc I will have normal periods, but if I am not I don't. Yet when we decided to try to get pg with Ry I went off the bc. Prevented for am month to let the bc get out of my system. The next month didn't prevent, but because of circumstances couldn't really try either. But we did get pg with him that month. I have no idea when I will ovulate if I am not on bc.

slingmamaof4
02-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Yeah, as you know Rebecca my hormone levels are kind of weird. For those of you who don't know. I only had three AF in 14 months before getting pg with Belle. And all of them were just spotting...literally just a few drops a day for a couple days. :shrug But then we got pregnant even though we were preventing. If I am on a stronger bc I will have normal periods, but if I am not I don't. Yet when we decided to try to get pg with Ry I went off the bc. Prevented for am month to let the bc get out of my system. The next month didn't prevent, but because of circumstances couldn't really try either. But we did get pg with him that month. I have no idea when I will ovulate if I am not on bc.