PDA

View Full Version : dad thinks whacks are funny

malakoa
02-08-2006, 10:00 PM
well, Small is 1 1/2 and she likes to play high five, and whack herself in the head. She just does.

She whacks me sometimes, and I usually put her down, and give myself a time out. I saw her and daddy playing, wrestling, giggling and she'll give him a whack and he'll laugh and she'll laugh too.

now what?

fancifulfrog
02-09-2006, 08:52 AM
My DD is like that she thinks patting is funny. I don't really worry about it. I sort of just act lax about it unless it gets out of hand.

Joanne
02-09-2006, 09:16 AM
She whacks me sometimes, and I usually put her down, and give myself a time out. I saw her and daddy playing, wrestling, giggling and she'll give him a whack and he'll laugh and she'll laugh too.

It's common, and IMO, needed male play. It's okay that he does it and you do not. She can learn that you don't like that kind of play. And you can let Dad teach her the fun (and limits) of physical play.

raisa
02-09-2006, 09:17 AM
DS is pretty into high-fiving and whacking us. I try to redirect and say "drum on the pillow!" or "high five on the hand!" Have you talked to your DH? Maybe you could ask him for ideas on teaching "no hitting," and tell him if you're concerned that the whacking-play is setting a bad precedent.

fancifulfrog
02-09-2006, 09:22 AM
It's common, and IMO, needed male play. It's okay that he does it and you do not. She can learn that you don't like that kind of play. And you can let Dad teach her the fun (and limits) of physical play.

ITA :tu

ArmsOfLove
02-09-2006, 12:05 PM
ITA with Joanne :)

Cindy
02-09-2006, 12:10 PM
We have a lot of playful whacking around here also :rolleyes The only time it is a problem is when ds thinks it's okay to play "whacking" games with other children. Then it can be hard to make him understand that his friends may not want to play that way.

Soliloquy
02-10-2006, 02:12 PM
I think it's OK that our DC learn that different people have different tolerances for physical play--if your DC isn't hurting your DH and he likes it, I see no reason to stop it. Part of the learning in the toddler years is about boundaries--there's ways you can wrestle and play with your friends but if someone gets hurt or doesn't like it, it's time to stop. :shrug

Sometimes while we're nursing to sleep, DD will pat my tummy (I'm 36 weeks pregnant) and sometimes she'll raise her arm really high and let it drop--resulting in a slap. OUCH! At first, I just said, "No hit" but took no action. Now, I unlatch her and say, "No hit. Ouch." She replies with a frantic, "More nursing! More nursing!" To which I reply, "Ok, but nursing, not hitting!" She rarely repeats this in the same evening, but if she does, then I unlatch her and get out of bed for a minute, rubbing my belly. She's definitely decreased the frequency since I've physically moved myself away whenever she does it. Of course, being 2, she still tests the boundary once in awhile, trying to figure out if "no hit" from mama really means "no hit ALL THE TIME." It's part of their development.

My DH does play a little "rougher" with her than I do, and she seems very capable of distinguishing the difference between us. I think your DC will, too, in time, as long as you are consistent with the boundaries you set for yourself. That being said, some kids are just more physical than others and if you really think your DC needs a clear-cut rule about "no hitting" then talk to your DH to get him on board.

Soliloquy
02-10-2006, 02:12 PM
I think it's OK that our DC learn that different people have different tolerances for physical play--if your DC isn't hurting your DH and he likes it, I see no reason to stop it. Part of the learning in the toddler years is about boundaries--there's ways you can wrestle and play with your friends but if someone gets hurt or doesn't like it, it's time to stop. :shrug

Sometimes while we're nursing to sleep, DD will pat my tummy (I'm 36 weeks pregnant) and sometimes she'll raise her arm really high and let it drop--resulting in a slap. OUCH! At first, I just said, "No hit" but took no action. Now, I unlatch her and say, "No hit. Ouch." She replies with a frantic, "More nursing! More nursing!" To which I reply, "Ok, but nursing, not hitting!" She rarely repeats this in the same evening, but if she does, then I unlatch her and get out of bed for a minute, rubbing my belly. She's definitely decreased the frequency since I've physically moved myself away whenever she does it. Of course, being 2, she still tests the boundary once in awhile, trying to figure out if "no hit" from mama really means "no hit ALL THE TIME." It's part of their development.

My DH does play a little "rougher" with her than I do, and she seems very capable of distinguishing the difference between us. I think your DC will, too, in time, as long as you are consistent with the boundaries you set for yourself. That being said, some kids are just more physical than others and if you really think your DC needs a clear-cut rule about "no hitting" then talk to your DH to get him on board.

ozmummy
02-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Yeah mostly what other people have said.

For this, and other types of physical play, I have said "That's a daddy game", and they get to understand it.

ozmummy
02-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Yeah mostly what other people have said.

For this, and other types of physical play, I have said "That's a daddy game", and they get to understand it.