PDA

View Full Version : book cases

Beauty4Ashes
02-08-2006, 11:28 AM
My older son seems to know that there is one shelf on the book case which is for him. I have his books there. But he still climbs on the couch and goes after my dictionaries on a higher shelf. Also, I am trying to teach him to take only one book at a time, not 5-6 because I am concerned about the stability of that shelf which is 2nd to the bottom of the book case. Any suggestions?

Joanne
02-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Make the environment safe. Consitently remove him from the couch saying "feet on floor".

If you don't want a lot of books out, it's easier to put some away than to regulate *all* of them if they are available. Have regular and predictable and fun clean up times each day (before snack, lunch, dinner and bed, for example).

Beauty4Ashes
02-08-2006, 12:07 PM
That's kind of a problem, the no feet on the couch, because dh is okay with ds jumping off the couch into his arms, but I don't particularly like it. It's a fun time thing for dh and ds. But it gets annoying because sometimes he hits you by mistake when jumping.

Cindy
02-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Can you secure the bookshelf so it is not a danger? Can you remove the books from the higher shelves so they are not a lure?

My little monkey likes to climb bookshelves too. :rolleyes

Beauty4Ashes
02-08-2006, 01:14 PM
I am running out of places to put my books. I've all ready hidden quite a few of them--this was when I first started having problems with a couple of shelves falling from the weight of my books...that or the boards were sort of warped. I really need to find a new stronger book case but don't know when that will happen.

Ali
02-08-2006, 01:23 PM
We anchored our bookcases to the wall with the straps that you drill into the bookcase and then drill into a stud in the wall - gives me peace of mind. Can you make the rule for the couch that he only stands when he's playing with daddy?
We also have baskets of toys and kids books on the bottom two shelves, and our stuff higher up. Then I can say "these are for you, the books up here are not for play." It takes a lot of reminding and correcting, but DS rarely has an issue now.