PDA

View Full Version : High maintenance brother and GBD

jammomy
02-08-2006, 06:32 AM
I am not sure where to post this, so please forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

My brother is a high-maintenance person - he wants my undivided attention whenever we visit each other; he is super-sensitive and gets his feelings hurt at the slightest disagreement; he is a perfectionist; he is a finicky eater; he is domineering; he talks loudly, and in public I get embarrassed by him because he does not use discretion in his topics of conversation; he does not like it that I no longer believe in punishments for my children - it REALLY bothers him; he takes control over correcting my children when I am present (which I have told him to stop doing); he is very negative and carries a chip on his shoulder. That being said...

...I have lost my patience with him. He wears me out; I don't have enough energy to deal with him right now. Without going into more detail, my DH and I have set some boundaries for DB, and he does not like it! He doesn't think it's fair and he believes we do not love him. I cannot convince him otherwise. I believe DH and I are using GBD with him. It sounds kinda funny since he's an adult, but the principles can be applied to anyone. However, it has not been easy. I am praying that God will heal him spiritually, emotionally, and physically. Right now, DH and I do not want him to spend much time around our DC's; he is a bitter, angry person and we do not feel it is healthy for our kids to spend alot of time with him. This has been a difficult time for me and I could use some prayer and encouragement. Any support or comments are welcome.

Soliloquy
02-08-2006, 06:50 AM
:hug I think you're doing the right thing.

mommy2abigail
02-08-2006, 07:34 PM
:hug

ArmsOfLove
02-08-2006, 08:03 PM
has he always been this way??? :think He sounds like he may have Asperger's. have you read anything about this?

Radosny Matka
02-08-2006, 08:17 PM
:hug2 :pray

jammomy
02-09-2006, 01:53 AM
Yes, Crystal, he has always been this way. When we were children, it seemed like he also pestered me alot. I don't know anything about Asperger's, but I will check into it.

Joanne
02-09-2006, 09:26 AM
AS was my thought, as well. Although there also seems to be a sophisticated, manipulative edge to his behavior that would not be a match for that profile.

Regardless, your brother needs serious and sustained outside help and I would make that a condition before engaging meaningfully with him in the future.

jammomy
02-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Joanne, you are correct in stating that my DB has a manipulative edge to his behavior. DH and I, too, believe he needs serious counselling. We have decided to make that a condition before he spends anymore time with our family, as you suggested.

Thank you all for your prayers, encouragement, and comments. Please pray for my brother, as he also struggles with chronic, lifelong depression, and chronic, physical pain due to an old back injury. DH and I believe he is in a very fragile state of mind.