PDA

View Full Version : dilemma: canned and organic or jarred and conventional?

~yogamom~
02-04-2006, 04:06 PM
So we've been eating a lot of beans lately and I always have a dilemma at Whole Foods. I can get canned and organic beans or jarred and conventional (non-organic). We eat mostly organic so I buy the organic beans, but I have major concerns about eating from cans (a lot of yucky stuff goes into the manufacturing process), so shoudl I get the jarred non-organic ones do you think? Thanks for your input!

lumpofclay
02-04-2006, 04:11 PM
:popcorn

Hmmm...you ladies think of some really interesting points! Y'all make me think about my choices! :think

Myrtle
02-04-2006, 06:38 PM
we just cook our own and avoid the dilema altogether. I know what you mean about canned stuff, but it's so hard to find things in jars most of the time. We don't have a whole foods here, just a Wild Oats, and they don't carry jarred beans.

JavaMama
02-08-2006, 01:54 PM
The thought hadn't occurred to me actually! I like the idea of dried beans, but dried beans is one of those things I just have not conquered in my kitchen. :grin

~yogamom~
02-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Hmmm, seems like a toss-up, I guess? Dried beans seem so much harder for everyday stuff-- I guess I am lazy! I love the convenience of opening a jar or can, I just can't figure out which is "better".

mommy2abigail
02-08-2006, 02:08 PM
Me too! My mom laughed at me today when I told her I didn't know how to cook them! Her instructions were rinse beans well, soak over night, and cook in plenty of water for 1-2 hours the next day. Mustering up the courage to try...

~yogamom~
02-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Me too! My mom laughed at me today when I told her I didn't know how to cook them! Her instructions were rinse beans well, soak over night, and cook in plenty of water for 1-2 hours the next day. Mustering up the courage to try...

Good to know I'm not the only one with a dried bean phobia out there! ;)

Jenne
02-08-2006, 02:30 PM
how about another choice... frozen?

ETA: Ha ha ha... do they make frozen legumes? I'm so silly... why did I think the discussion was on green beans... sorry. :O

milkmommy
02-08-2006, 02:43 PM
I buy whole beans cook them by the pound in the slow cooker and just use as needed till I need to make more. TO cook basic beans (like pinto kidney ectt)
sort and place in slow cooker add about 6 cups cold water and just leave over night drain in the morning (yes it does get rid of some nutrients but it lessens the gas also) add 6 cups water and and seasoning I ussually do garlic at least cook on high one hour then on low another 4.

Deanna

Atarah
02-08-2006, 02:48 PM
what deanna said. :grin

after cooking a big batch in the slow cooker i drain them put them in pint size glass jars (no liquid) and stick them in the freezer until i need them.